River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Well darn, I lost what I wrote twice now! Maybe I will learn to hit post whenever I leave the computer!
Anyway, this week is going well so far. Yesterday we were up with AM routines, breakfast and school all done before 11 am!! School is still going well. I attribute my satisfaction with our "school" both to our work on consistency (school EVERY day M-Th) and to our curriculum.

We use Calvert Kindergarten and are on lesson 22 in Language Arts and 29 in Math. I am really liking it. It is so nice to have a well put together curriculum for that first year where you are still learning how to "teach" and incorporate homeschool (and in our case a new baby as well) into your family. I feel like the reading portion of Language Arts is advancing rather quickly, yet Joss is loving it, and keeping up just fine. She gets a little frustrated at the end of the lesson sometimes, but often figures out whatever was stumping her the next time we discuss it.
The Math surprises me in that we are starting with stuff that seems so basic to me (patterns, shapes) and while Joss knows most everything, she is definitely benefiting from and enjoying going over these things formally. I also see how it is helpful to her to learn good work habits (proceeding methodically through a page, rather than skipping around, checking over work) with easier material, so I do stress those things in Math, more than in Language Arts.

After several stories, followed by PBS and lunch we headed out. Our first stop was the park to play. When we went into the park building to use the bathroom, one of the park n rec workers invited us to have popcorn and cocoa with the group that was meeting there. So we had a lovely little surprise snack. After we left the park we went grocery shopping and then as a reward for the kids good (okay semi-decent) behavior at Sam's we went to feed the ducks again. Then home again for more stories till dad got home. I was very satisfied with our calm, quiet Monday. The kids behavior is also improving as we work on maintaining our routines with more consistency.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home