River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Sunday, November 16, 2003

Well the end of our week did not go so great. Ryan, baby Keian and I are all officially sick. I was up till 3am with baby Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night!! Fortunately daddy was able to stay home thursday morning so I could catch up on sleep and I was also able to sleep in Saturday AM. I then ended up sleeping straight through from 6pm Saturday till 6am Sunday am! I'm feeling much better now, thank you!

So - Thursday we jumped right into Joscelyn's schoolwork. We are switching our schedule a little and doing language arts first instead of Math. Math is her favorite and she gets a little frustrated during LA. We ended up doing LA until she got frustrated then switched to Math then finished LA. This seems to work better and we will continue doing it this way. Maybe we can even get back on the same lesson with LA and Math! We have "fallen behind" math in language arts by about 8 lessons. I only mind since one of my favorite things about Calvert is the way the lessons complement eachother. (For instance an exercise in LA might be describing different shapes at the same time as we are working on shapes in Math)

After school Thursday, my younger brother came to visit the kids and I. He is probably being deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan soon so we are really cherishing the time we have with him. I love my brother of course, but the kids absolutely idolize him, especially Zeff. He calls him a "brave soldier" and an "Army guy" and thinks he keeps the bad dreams away! (He has his picture posted in his crib for just that reason!) It will be hard to help Zeff understand when he goes.

When Jon came over, we decided to take the kids to the children's museum. Someday I would like to describe it in full in my blog as it is a wonderful mix of play and learning. Anyone who is interested could probably find info about it by googling "Minnesota Children's Museum" Suffice it to say, my brother, the kids and I had a great time. And Zeff crashed on the way home so it was a double success!

Friday was a really hard day as I again was up late, but Ryan couldn't stay home two days in a row so I just had to bite the bullet, have a cup of coffee and do my best. It was one of those days when I had allready exceeded our TV goal by 10 am and we still weren't dressed or cleaned up for the day. In fact, we had gotten so behind on laundry that I couldn't even dress Zeff as all his long pants were in the laundry!! I finally pulled it together, did a few loads of laundry and got us all dressed by noon!!! We ended up skipping our Friday AM playgroup and it is a good thing we aren't scheduled to do Calvert on Fridays cuz it wouldn't have happened!

Once we were finally ready we headed out to do some volunteer work for our block club. The kids and I delivered block maps and crime prevention folders to most of the houses on our block. Our block leader prepared envelopes with the addresses on them for those who wished to have a block map so I gave Jossy the job of matching the addresses to the house. It was great fun and good practice for her matching the numbers. She also got some exposure to cursive style numbers. We are also working on "reading" two digit numbers. I was pleased as we had a nice walk on a gorgeous day, did a little volunteer work and it was even educational!!
We then went to a friend's house for a playdate, went home and had supper.
All in all it was a good school week considering our illness. I notice a definite pattern of our weeks starting out really well and going downhill as I get less sleep. I will capitalize on this in the future by planning more academics (and other mommy-intensive activities) for the beginning of the week and more field trips and outside classes for the end of the week. That way if I am too tired to do anything but cart kids around by Friday that will be all I HAVE to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home