River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Wow, it's been forever since I blogged! I guess that's a sign of warmer weather! Weve been outside lots lately. We have also been on a few cool field trips including the Minnesota Valley Wildlife Refuge and the Weisman Art Museum. Both awesome. School is also going well, phonics have gotten a little tougher so Joss is enjoying that again. Math also is going very well. We recently had trouble with Literature but it turned out to be the story (I didn't like it and Joss didn't either - it was very simple and repetitive and J had no patience for it). We are on lesson 67 so are getting close to halfway through (160 lessons total).
Still having trouble keeping up with Science - it is just not part of our routine, and thus way too easy for me to blow off if I don't have the materials for it right at hand. I also don't feel like it is the greatest Science program in the world. Even so, I am formulating a plan to alternate Science and Spanish every other day so we get used to having one more subject after what we consider "school" (reading and math) is done.
Starting to think about next school year. I am definitely planning to order Calvert 1st. So far, I have been very pleased with it for K and have felt it was worth the cost. However, I don't plan to order K for my future kindergarteners as I feel it has adequately taught me what to do in K. We'll see for the higher grades though.
We had a nice day today as our 4 yr old girl neighbor came and spent the morning with us while her mom went to her older brother's school. Joss only got 1 math worksheet done before her friend got here. Oh well, this was the first day in practically 6 months that it cracked 60 degrees. If that isn't worthy of an impromptu day off, I don't know what is! Next week is the Mpls Public Schools Spring break and as a result Joss doesn't have her regular day of classes so we should be able to do some catch-up.
Well, one set of neighbors are watching Joss while another watches Zeff! I should get off the puter and clean up the kitchen! Ooooh, I'm starving and someone is grilling out!! That should be against the law (unless they share!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home