River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Well, time certainly flies, I can't believe it is February all ready!! It seems like the baby was just born in the Fall and we are all ready getting ready for Valentine's day??? Anyway, a quick recap of the week as I am not feeling well and really shouldn't use my "busy kids time" on the computer but laying down!
Monday - A heap of snow!!! Daddy couldn't work but miraculously was able to take us all to the sliding hill! Way steep! We couldn't get up to the top more than once but slid a couple times from the halfway point as well. I got the cutest picture of Zeff wearing his furry aviator hat and speechless in delight from his first solo slide giving the camera the thumb's up sign. I got some cute ones of Joss and Daddy too!
We completed a whole Calvert lesson. It seems to go a little smoother now that we are all on one lesson. I am still forgoing many of the game suggestions but have been incorporating more of the art activities and all the science. A friend and I had an interesting talk about her choice to stay away from box curriculums and my choice to use one. I love that we are all able to use what works best for us and our kids. Calvert is a good fit for Joss and easy for me to use as I do not feel that I have time or inclination to put together a curriculum. My problems with public school aren't mainly with the textbook style of teaching, and I feel like this curriculum helps me to feel like I am doing everything I "need" to in a convenient concentrated dose, allowing lots of time for activities, family time and that all important task of childhood, playing.
Tuesday - Ceramics class, Joss is really enjoying. I hoped for another hour and a half of pleasant mommy and zeffy time while she was there, but unfortunately Zeff was irresistably drawn to the classroom for the last half hour and ended up disrupting their class when I ended up having to pull him away from the doorway and he screamed! Up until that point we had played happily, ran in the gym, played basketball and read stories. I was surprised and upset by his behavior but as the day wore on and his cough got worse, I recognized that I was dealing with a sick kid. Poor kid, I think he felt acutely left out during her class when I had to keep saying "No, you can't go in there, that's just for the older kids," we will try going to the library during Joss's class next week. They have also moved their story time to Friday mornings so we may start attending those so we can have another Zeff activity (although Joss totally enjoys it).
After we got home and played awhile Joss did a full Calvert lesson with no complaints. She read one of her readers by her own choice during recess. She did very well. I am contemplating skipping 10 or 20 lessons as everything but the literature, language usage stuff is such complete review (she didn't know it at the beginning of K, she just picked it all up on her own! Why do I spend money on a curriculum!)
Today is rough cuz I have quite a bad cold, bordering on sinus infection. We did not attend co-op due to that and Zeff still being borderline sick. Besides, I work tomorrow and need to try my best to get better in time for that. So we are taking it easy and I will be going around the house wiping down door knobs and light switches in an effort to break this neverending cycle of colds! However, I started on my routines the second I got up and I have the kitchen clean, supper in the crockpot and school done by 1130am! We are having a nice lazy morning looking at big coffetable books of photographs of a day in the life of America. We have had some real fun conversations about them and I can't believe how long the kids have been at it! We have also been working really hard on picking up each toy or game before we move onto another one. This requires vigilance on my part but helps us keep the house clean. The kids will cheerfully pick up one activity's worth of mess, but more than that is overwhelming. Rocket science, huh! Oh well, I never claimed to be a great housekeeper. I just have to make up for it with my looks! Or more realistically, be a good mom and teacher and hope the kids will repress all the memories of not being able to get dressed cuz there are no clean clothes!
Well, I'm off to make lunch and catnap while they eat it. Hope everyone else is doing well. Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot. My little brother was deployed yesterday. He will be in Afghanistan for approx 2 years. Please keep him in your prayers. I would be grateful also for prayers for my children in understanding this. Zeff is very angry and having a hard time accepting it. He ran away from Uncle Jon when he came to say good-bye for the last time and cried so hard after he left. My heart breaks for him. Jon is his biggest hero.
Peace, Katy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home