River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Could it be? Dare I put away the snow gear? Has Spring actually come to stay in MN? It sure feels that way! Hit 70 today, I think!
Monday was lame cuz I was tired from our busy weekend (Jon came home one last time before he goes to Afghani May 1st or so) Barely got school done before I had to go to work.
Tuesday was busy as usual. Ceramics in the AM. We planned to go back home while Joss had class but Zeff met up with two little girls (3 and 5) at the playground and played very nicely (or at least without conflict) for the whole hour and a half! I was so pleased to see how well he got along with them.
After Ceramics we had to go up to my work since I accidently took a pager home the night before. This was actually great fun for my kids since they think it is so cool to see my work and they even saw some babies in the nursery this time.
We then headed out to gym n swim. Zeff and I did the grocery shopping while Joss was at class and really enjoyed our (almost)one on one time. Even baby had a nice trip and I am glad he rides in the seat of the cart now because he is getting heavy! Afterwards we were all too tired to go to the Mayday workshop. In fact I ordered Chinese instead of cooking cuz I was so wiped out! The kids adore going to the local Chinese restaraunt. They call it the chopstick store and love looking at the chinese dragons, goldfish and fat, jade Buddha. They love asking for the chopsticks and the employees always seem to enjoy them too.
Today we had a regular school morning, went pretty well. The latest thing that is lots of fun is for Joss to do her work at her school desk on the porch. She is also psyched that we are almost halfway through and are starting readers in a few days.
This afternoon we went the the Minnesota Valley Wildlife Refuge. We saw tons of neat birds: cardinals, robins, goldfinches, juncoes, red-winged blackbirds, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers and (drumroll please) a great blue heron! No real wildlife and I had hoped we would see wild turkeys again but it was still an awesome day at a great and nearby nature center. We hiked about a 1/2 mile down a bluff, past a pond and back up the bluff. We stopped for about a 1/2 hour at the pond and I lay down on a bench with the baby sitting on my tummy while the kids messed around in the mud at the edge of the pond. They had so much fun and it was so peaceful looking up through the trees at the cloudless, blue sky. Baby squawked and screeched at the trees and bushes and generally had a great time.
After our hike we went in the nature center. The kids played with the puppets while I browsed in the bookstore and purchased three books. Then the naturalist pointed out the different species of birds at the feeder and told the kids little interesting facts about them. He was so nice!
Well, it's bedtime and we have a field trip in the AM so adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home