River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Monday, March 29, 2004

Well I had a crappy night at work. Two substance abusing patients and two day of surgeries makes for a heavy and stressful load. I also had a rough morning with the kids b4 work. I stayed up too late last night watching a movie therefore having us clean and dressed and at the pediatrician by 9am was no small feat!
Both boys had their checkups. All is well, but Zeff needs to get his eyes checked and the ped confirms he is probably a lefty for life, now. He had used either hand for a while but now has a def preference for the left.
Keian is growing and developing fine as well. He got four shots though and was fussy the rest of the day for me and continued to be so for Ryan.
School was tough, once we got home from the dr. the kids really needed some free play time but I was stressed cause I wanted to get school done b4 I went to work. I also figured the baby would nap at SOME POINT between 730am when he got up and 2p when I had to leave for work but I was wrong!
We got through 1/2 a LA lesson and attempted a science lesson but I am again hating our science. It is so dry and textbooky with nothing hands on. For Kindergarten! I mean there are occasionally projects but I am surprised that it is mostly taught through text and discussion. So we talked about what the earth is made up of today and Joss ended up telling me all kinds of things that she learned during her recent volcano unit. We also talked about the water all over the world which led to Joss standing on top of our couch to reach our maps and pointing to oceans and tracing the Mississippi river down from MN to LA/MS.
So, she learned alot and practiced narrating what she had learned but I still didn't feel like I could check off our science lesson as completed. I may let it slide now that we will be planning the garden and planting it soon. The kids are so observant as well. They spent a good twenty minutes on the porch the other day watching the squirrels and birds in our yard.
Joss made the comment "I like watching the wildlife out in nature" or something to that effect which I found humorous as we live in a very urban area.
I know I have vaccilated on this issue before, and I spose I will keep looking at the science lesson and trying to discuss the lesson and do experiments but I'm not going to get hung up on it.
Well, if I don't want tomorrow to suck as bad as today I should head to bed. Hope everyone is doing well.
And a very happy birthday to my mom and brother. I love you both so much and miss you both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home