River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Regarding my quizilla results: I guess the unschooler part fits for the most part. Sounds odd for a homeschooler using Calvert, but it actually fits what my philosophy is. One quick, concentrated dose of academics in the AM and a day filled with unschooling.
We went to a great insect class on Wednesday. Kids each got a big net and the teacher, Grandma Pat, taught them how to sweep it over the grass and it was shocking how many insects we'd catch. The kids caught baby grasshoppers, daddy-long-legs, a cucumber beetle and many more. The older kids then collected their bugs in different containers according to the classifications we learned at the beginning of the class, but our kids just enjoyed observing their insects in clear plastic containers and releasing them. The class was supposed to last one hour, but the teacher just kept going and it finished about twenty minutes late. She was then very kind to stay even longer and answer questions and talk to the kids.
Since then I have just been doing my best to keep on keepin' on, cuz I am in a down mood, but have lots to do for our camping trip. I will have all the laundry done by this afternoon and then will pack the kids stuff. I also hope to get some of the non-clothes items together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home