River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Well, things are looking up. Sorta. On Sunday I was diagnosed with Shingles which seems like bad news but the good news is that once I started the medication for the Shingles a lot of the symptoms that I attributed to the accident cleared up. I'm still stiff and sore but the continuous headache that I had for twenty days finally cleared up and I am not AS achy. Unfortunately, I missed yet another day of work today because I cannot work until the Shingles are all scabbed over. I should be back for my next shift in a week and a half.
Now that I am feeling decent, and the weather is nice I feel so much happier and energetic. We went to the nature center this AM for a class, but it was cancelled. So we checked out a bird backpack and went for a nature walk. Both kids took advantage of the colored pencils and paper in the backpack to draw what they saw. Joss drew an interesting purple grass and Zeff drew the flying car that you can see from the trail. (It is a sign for a repair place across the highway from there.)
We came home for lunch and housework. Baby took a nice long nap so we finished cleaning up and the day's Calvert lesson before he awoke.
After he got up I fed him and Joss and Zeff enjoyed playing with the tape recorder that a neighbor gave them. My little diva-in-training especially enjoyed it. I was getting hot and suggested the pool but accidently said beach. Well, the kids heard that and desperately wanted to go to the beach instead, so we did! We have a very nice one in a state park quite close to us. It is amazing how wilderness-y it is there, yet it is 10 minutes from our house and you can see (and hear) all the airplanes taking off and landing at the airport across the highway from the park. Even so, we saw an egret, downy woodpecker and barn swallows. The kids and baby had a great time in the water. It is a very gradual grade and so is perfect for my kids swimming abilities (or lack therof). The big kids can go in as deep as their bellybuttons and baby of course needs constant supervision and still managed to dip his face in the water a couple times. He has an innate sense of when I have glanced away for a millisecond and takes those opportunities to either dunk his face or eat sand. Zeff also went under water once, but recovered on his own before Joss or I could reach him (seconds that felt like hours).
Yesterday was also nice. Dropped off car (again! for MORE repairs) at 8am and went grocery shopping directly after. I was so proud of what I had accomplished by 9am, considering we are usually just rolling out of bed then. We then went to the pool and to my work. When we got home a friend from hs support group came by with a meal for us. I thought it was sooo thoughtful of her - she really picked up on how stressed I was and when she offered help, I said yes! It was a little ironic, though, that she brought us a meal on the day our neighbor had surgery, and I had decided a week earlier that I would bring her some food that day. So I made cream cheese bread and a fruit salad for our neighbor and my friend brought us enchilada cassserole and a pasta bake. What a sweetie! Really illustrated to the kids (I hope) what a community can be. Even as we help others in their time of need, others are helping us in ours!
Ryan has been working a ton lately, finishing a side job he took to help with the $ problems the accident has caused. I am so proud of him. He worked from 9a-10p yesterday and will do the same today. I asked him to call me when he is on his way home tonight so I can run him a bath and have a beer and a snack waiting.
He is such a sweet daddy. He really misses the kids when he works this much. He calls a couple times a day to hear what they are doing and talk to them. It makes me fall in love with him even more whenever I see what a great dad he has become.
Well, I have squandered all of Arthur and much of the baby's nap, I am afraid, so gotta run do at least a couple chores before he wakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home