River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Okay this is not exactly a cute kid story because it is really disgusting, but I am going to share anyway because this is my blog. nah nah :)
We had two extra kids at the house this afternoon so it was wild and at one point Joss says "I have a seed on my head,"
Well, I may be a bad mom but I was a little distracted and said "uh-huh" and promptly forgot about it.
After supper she says, "Mom! I have a seed on my head, right back here,"
I started digging through the hair at the back of her head and as my fingers brushed against a small, firm, round object, my stomach turned. I have seen corneas harvested, looked into a man's open, infected chest wound, torn apart blood clots with my gloved fingers to check for pieces of placenta. I've touched worms, snakes, spiders and admired slugs. But, I really hate ticks. I have gotten very close to hysterics after finding a tick on myself.
My daughter had a tick attached to her scalp, swollen up to the size of a dime. It was the sickly pale grayish hue that they get from being so distended. Under these circumstances, a good mom should remain calm so as to avoid frightening the child. It was not my finest moment as a mother. I left the room and shouted between gagging spells for my husband to get it off of her.
After it was removed and dissected with a butter knife on the back steps, Joss came back inside. She asked me, "So what was that thing on me?" I told her it was a tick, to which she responded, "Oh, I thought it was the seed God made me from." I thought it was adorable and hilarious, esp since her knowledge of where babies come from is the daddy puts a seed in the mommy and God sends a baby. I'm not sure if she thought it had been there since conception or what but it made me laugh hysterically and call all the grandmas.
Life has been wild lately, hence little blogging. I actually have more free time than usual but it is so wierd and out of my routine to have free time that I hardly know what to do with myself! 
The kids have VBS this week so Joss and Zeff are both there in the morning. Fate is kind in that the baby has napped for most of the morning every day so far, as well! We have also had friends over yesterday and today. Yesterday was okay but more fighting than usual. Today was great. I took my kids plus our cousin (7) and a friend (6) to the playground directly after VBS. At the playground I told them that they would put on a play and the first task when we got home would be to paint the set, so they should decide what the play would be about. It was neat to see all three big kids sharing the tire swing and planning their play, it was heavily derived from Harry Potter 2 which the eldest had seen, and they decided to paint a castle.
When we got home they had lunch and got to work on their set. I gave each kid from the 7 yr old down to my 3 year old a paintbrush and a jar of paint and they went to work. They painted for a full 1/2 hour with no fighting and all kids being included, though Zeff wandered away from time to time. He also painted his police car and the sidewalk with my permission (it is washable paint). At one point in the painting the biggest kid lifted Zeff up so he could paint something at the top. Sooooo sweet.
They also had fun making costumes of the dress up clothes, though the oldest child was very insistent that he needed black sheets, which we do not have!
The play never got past the first rehearsal, they got very caught up in it but then couldn't agree if the play should move to the basement or stay outside. The opposing factions split off to do their own activities, for awhile.
The kids then rode bikes, played tag and a game they made up called Sonic the Hedgehog (more of the 7yo's influence I think). That was interesting, no rules that I could see instead of chasing each other around and declaring oneself a hedgehog, or superfast hedgehog, or a few other things that I didn't recognize.
VBS has been great again, of course. This is Joss's 3rd year and it is one of the highlights of her year. It is Zeff's first year and I wasn't sure how it would go as we quit pioneer group because not only couldn't he separate, he couldn't even stand being there when I was there and had a really tough time following the teacher's direction. I worried quite a bit about how he would separate and listen to the teacher.
All for nothing, though as I only had to stay with him for twenty minutes before he followed the teacher out of the room for story time downstairs and never gave me look back. It took another twenty minutes to convince him to leave when it was over!
The next day I helped him settle into and he kissed Keian and I goodbye and that was it. I came early to pick him up and spied on him. To my surprise he was one of only a few kids following the directions to leave their activity and go the rug. He then participated in the actions of their song. I was sooo proud of him, and when I came to get him he hung up his nametag with no argument, hugged his friend and his teachers goodbye and we were on our way.
Today was even easier and he continues to be extremely proud of his activity sheets and is able to tell me about his snack, the story, the movie and the activity. He also is recognizing his name on his name tag. It might help that he is the only Z kid. I think that is pretty good for a 3.33 year old! (not that I'm a bit biased!)
Well, it's been a great week. I adore spending as much time with my kids as I do, but it is nice to get a little vacation here and there. I can't wait till next week with no scheduled activities outside of playgroup, we will go use our new Zoo membership, a birthday gift from my folks.
Well, it's past my bedtime.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Web Lover said…

    Hi there....I wanted to say I like tour blog. It has alot of informative information relating to fun activity for kid summer and other info.
    Maybe you would be interested in checking out my website **Preschool Learning Online.com** it deals with some of the similar info like fun activity for kid summer and such...

    Thanks for the informative stuff....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home