River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

We are back from camping and have actually gotten almost everything washed and put away all ready! I am so impressed with myself (actually Ryan.)
Camping was, of course, a blast. We did have cooler temps and some rain to deal with, but the kids couldn't have cared less about that. We camped at Bear Head Lake State Park near Ely and visited the International Wolf Center in Ely while we were there.
The Wolf Center was great. Both kids loved the exhibits, the kid's "den" and seeing the baby wolf pups as well as the adult arctic wolves. We will definitely be visiting there again when the kids are older.
My folks came to the campground a day before us and were kind enough to set up our tent and pay for our camping - THANKS MOM AND DAD! It is also very nice camping with them as the kids love spending time with them and when they're spending time with the grandparents, Ryan and I are spending time ALONE!
We are so fortunate in that my mom is a teacher with almost 30 years experience and knows tons of crafts and activities. She spent several "nap" times reading and doing fun learning activities with Joss.
My dad is also a huge outdoorsman and was able to teach my kids so much about the outdoors and is an excellent example of how to preserve and interact with nature. Him and Ryan took the kids fishing a few times and taught the kids some important nature practices such as spitting in the mouth of any fish you catch, a practice Zeff caught onto and thoroughly enjoyed. Also taught BOTH kids to pee off the boat. I never knew girls could, but apparently with a little coaching Joss did a great job.
Probably the best part in the kids' view was the endless playing with camping buddies. We were camped to campsites away from a family with a 7yr old girl and 4 yr old boy who became instant best friends with our kids. The girls spent time looking for fairies and playing with their stuffed wolves. The boys rode their bikes and ran around the woods with some 10 yr olds having mock-wars with their toy guns. Some may disapprove, but the kids had a blast, and I really liked the cooperation within the teams. One of the boys also dubbed himself the medic and would carry the "injured" little boys to safety. A sign that they are comprehending on some level the real consequences of war.
My favorite part, and it shows how weird I am, was feeding the messed up baby sunnies to the snapping turtles that lived at the dock. I had to sit on my hands not to fish (as Ryan neglected to get a couples fishing license and got one just for him, grr)
Anyway, it was a great trip. We all had fun, relaxed and had lots of time to enjoy each other. I also had some time to think about certain issues that have been bothering me. Expect a post from me soon in regards to the pro-life, anti-gay-marriage viewpoints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home