River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

This probably means I am not a mature adult but...
I am really happily listening to Eminem's new cd and loving it. He is a poetic voice for my generation. I will never forget the line in that song "..but man these goddamn food stamps don't buy diapers." I had friends growing up (starting when I was 15) who couldn't keep their kids in diapers for that very reason - welfare paid the rent and little else. WIC and foodstamps bought food and formula but you can't use them for diapers. So I know a lot of people have a problem with him, but he does speak of a reality that I have lived and know. He's violent, disrespectful to women? He's just a reflection of and product of a society that I have lived in. And the man can rhyme!!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger KatyM said…

    I have a feeling you get more than your share of funny looks. Somehow I don't think either one of us fit the public's general stereotype of what an Eminem fan would look like. And MPR should play him. Racism, that's what it is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home