River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Monday, October 25, 2004

Today was really awesome. Z had Magic Treehouse in the AM. He had a very fun and busy morning there. His teacher used chalk to outline all the kids laying on the sidewalk. They also made the prettiest tissue paper window hanging things.
We got 80% of school done while he was there. Joss has hit a stumbling block in math. It's not so much that she doesn't get the concept, she just has it in her head that she can't do it. When she uses similar and higher level skills in other ways she does great so I'm not exactly sure what the deal is. Ry had a good suggestion tonight when we discussed it that I am going to try with her.
After we picked up the Z, we dropped off daddy's lunch - we all love doing that when he works near by. Then we ran a couple errands and finished off by spending 15cents on 3 loaves of bird bread and feeding the ducks, geese and seagulls at our favorite place, where we do that at least once a season. Today they I learned the trick of getting the sea gulls to catch the food mid-air. You hold the bread up until there are several kind of hovering nearby and then throw it in front of one of them. I got them to catch it four times and it was quite exciting for me!! (I know I am suffering from terminal dorkiness - dorkus malorkus my cousin would say)
Then we got home and the plan was to finish off school but we just did the read aloud stuff (Z did a very good job listening to big sister's literature piece). Then the good weather (It was above 50 today) called to us and we want for a hour and a half, 2 block walk! We collected leaves with the intention of using them for an art project.
We came back home to do an art project and listen to music but again I just had to get us outside, so we took a wagon ride to the "rainbow" park and bought a big 28 pound pumpkin on the way home. That was quite a workout, pulling the 20, 35 and 45 pound kids along with the pumpkin!
Poor kids - I totally tired them out! Z fell asleep next to his dad on the couch before supper and baby took a 2 hour nap! They went to bed well, though and now I need to get the house cleaned up! Aargh!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice post. i admire working parents a lot.
    regarding your comment about hipaa-induced madness... i think your stories are well-written and don't violate anything. I still plan on writing patient stories - i think it makes us better clinicians and people. But the ones I put up will have some fictional elements that hopefully keep salivating law-types away. I'll enjoy checking out your site!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home