River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Wow! Just when I was starting to wonder if homeschooling really is the best thing for our family (trouble getting things done, some attitude issues, trouble with a couple math concepts) I had one of those days that helped me remember what is so great about it!
School flew by! A little humor (I pretended to be the student and made Joss explain it to me) got us through the math and confirmed that Joss does know the stuff - just gets easily discouraged at times. The attitude was a thousand times better. I have been trying to get through school quickly cuz of other demands and Joss really does better with some built in breaks and rewards. We were done with the day's Calvert School by 9:45 (less than 45 minutes spent total!!) so spent a 1/2 hour on the recorder. Joss loves it and is soaking up the music theory like a sponge. She doesn't even get frustrated by the fact that her hands are too small to do the fingering very easily.
After the recorder lesson her and Zeff acted out and danced the nutcracker (we have the cd) they have been watching a video of it produced at Orchestra Hall here in the cities (I can't remember if it is in Mpls or St Paul) and Zeff made some comments that showed me that he totally remembers the story when he hears the music. I can't wait to go see the ballet this winter!
So it is 10:30 now and I plan to get cleaned up and to the Children's Museum (baby is feeling much better) for a brief visit before we pick up our cousin. I LOVE HOMESCHOOLING!
Regarding the election - I am so proud of our state for the turnout and majority for Kerry. Greatly disappointed that it appears to be Bush winning. Have been thinking of what I need to do in relation to it. I need to step up my level of activism on the pro-choice front. I am a member of NARAL but thus far have only supported them financially. I should contact them to see what I can do in my limited time.
Is it a little silly to keep hoping that it is Kerry by a miracle?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home