River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Biking
Well, I am doing famously at my goal of only filling my van's gas tank every other week. Because said van is out off commission in our driveway. Wussy mom would have just said, "Oh well" and skipped Spanish this afternoon, but I am no wussy mom and I piled the 25 and 35 pound boys in the 40 pound trailer and Joss and I biked the 2.25 miles to Spanish class. We went a different way that was incredibly beautiful, slightly hillier and with almost no streets to cross as it follows the creek and goes under some bridges. It was awesome and would have been perfect if it had not been in the high 40s with strong wind and occasional drizzles. Even so, it was a great ride. I wore my dad or brother's very thick wool army shirt under my windbreaker, and I got too hot, but it was the PERFECT thing to cover the boys up with. It kept them warm and dry and was big enough to tuck in around the edges.
After we got J to class I took the boys to the library, where baby delighted me with his language ability. We had been visiting with Miss Lucy, the children's librarian (during which time I am sure I did not refer to her as a librarian). A while later we were heading to desk to check out when I gave baby my library card and told him to give it to the librarian. He wheeled around and headed back in the opposite direction and handed the card to Miss Lucy. It not only showed that he understood everything I had said, but also that she was a librarian, despite not being told that. He also did a nice job saying please and thank you while we were there in addition to his "Yes, Mommy" that he is so proud of.
After Library we went to the grocery store and got as many necessities as would fit in one grocery bag, then headed back to the rec center to pick up Jossy. The ride home was even colder but we made good time and I am so proud of J's endurance. Another milestone, yesterday Zeff asked for a worksheet so I provided him with a letter matching one. I helped him w/the first row and then asked him to wait while I did something with the baby. In the two minutes I was out of the room he finished the page on his own. And today, with no prompting wrote his own name. I confess I don't know why he started with "y" and moved from right to left to write his first name but I was thrilled all the same.
Well, my hungover 28 year old cousin is here so I better take care of her.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Tenniel said…

    Katy,

    Miss you, still read your blog regularly. Thought of you this morning when I started a Homeschool Bloggers egroup - please think about joining. http://groups-beta.google.com/group/HomeschoolBlogger

    Peace,
    Tenn
    http://schoolathome.blogspot.com

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger KatyM said…

    Hi Tenn,
    Nice to hear from you. I check in with your blog too. Will check out the e-group.
    Take care,
    Katy

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you a quad bike enthusiast? If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to biking and quad bike with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.natlbike.com

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Lures information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home