River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Bragging
Warning: There is no pretense of modesty in the following blog post. Only pure self-congratulatory bragging.
My Girl: Today she started talking about going to circus school again. We discussed how she would have to earn $100 of the tuition as it is very expensive. She asked how she would get the money and I told her she could earn $1 extra per day by doing an additional job after her regular chores are done. She figured that it would be $7 a week. Then, with zero help from me (we were in the car) she made a chart that showed how much she would make each week and that it would take 14 weeks and 2 days to earn $100. She labeled her chart: Srkis scool. It was neat that this happened in the car because Ryan was able to hear the way she can work to figure out something when she is motivated. I think of it as a good argument for unschooling, though I have been handing out the occasional worksheet to assuage my nerves.
Me: I rock. I was complimented on my work twice in the last two days by fellow nurses who I really respect. I worked 20 out of the last 48 hours and have had really great interactions with my patients. Nothing too spectacular, just nice patients who I really felt like I had been able to help.
Baby: Totally talks! Daddy, Mommy, Dossy (Jossy), goggy (doggy), bye-bye.
For background: even though some people think it is overly strict or regimented or something, I expect my kids to answer my instructions or when I call them with "Yes, mommy" They have about an 85-90% compliance rate with this rule so I am frequently reminding them of it.
So, today: I called my 18 month old to come sit in his high chair and he said "Na (yes) mommy!" He only really started two word phrases in the last couple weeks so I was really surprised and proud.
Well it's Sleep Robbing Day, I mean Daylight Savings so I better try to get to bed.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You must share your secrets. Maggie is really good at following directions. Frank seems to revel in the reactions he gets when he does the opposite of what we ask.

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger KatyM said…

    No secrets. Trust me, there is plenty I DON'T brag about! Though, Zeff has gotten SO MUCH easier since he turned 4 so maybe that is on Franky's horizon too.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Spryte said…

    Just wanted to say that you do indeed rock. Glad things are going so well.
    K

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Blogger KatyM said…

    Thanks K, hope you are doing well, too. Happy baby thoughts coming your way.
    KatyM

     

Post a Comment

<< Home