River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Well just a quick post to say I have started back to work! Last evening was my first shift. It went well, but baby is back to his 3am bedtime so I am really tired today. Sorry, I am realizing the theme to my blog is how tired I am and how much sleep I get!
Anyway, Monday was a lovely day at home. I am realizing that our best days are those when we don't have any classes or outside commitments. We did our Calvert School and then just had a lovely day with lots of stories. Joss took it upon herself to clean the whole basement playroom and she did an awesome job!! I got her started by suggesting she assign certain types of toys to certain toy bins and she was off and running. She did at least as good of a job as I could have done and all with out me standing over her telling her where to put what.
A friend of mine recently said about homeschooling "It's like the more we do it, the more reasons we find to keep doing it," I may have misquoted her but I agree with the sentiment whole-heartedly. When I saw Jossy's drive to complete the project of her own creation, I was grateful that she has so much free time to pursue her interests. Although, I am not an "unschooler" I feel myself leaning in that direction more and more as my kids are learning and growing so much on their own. Hmmmm....
Tuesday was another one of the surprisingly good days we have had of late. We had ice skating in the morning, and I do have to say my 2yo's behavior in public is improving - slowly, but steadily! When we got home it was 12:30 and I had to leave for work at 2. I shocked myself by getting lunch ready, getting everything together for work (took a long time, since it was my first day back in 3 1/2 months!), getting the baby fed and completely changed (messy baby!) and getting school done before I had to leave.
I really like my job, so it wasn't as hard to be back as I thought it would be. I actually had a good time since I had a decent patient load and was working with people that I like.
Of course, I came home and was up with the baby till late so I am still dragging and sitting on the computer with a cup of coffee instead of getting my butt in gear! Well, I just started our science lesson - we are studying sight so I tied a scarf around Jossy's eyes and sent her to do a chore with it on to see what it was like to be blind. We are also going to make the Braille alphabet, and do some things with sight and looking at close-ups.
Well, here's hoping for another good day at work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home