River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Well I am actually up and dressed at 8:15am! The kids and I played outside yesterday and I was worn out! As soon as we got the kids to bed we started getting ready for bed last night! I even have the middle boy fed and dressed; baby and big sis are sleeping so I have a moment to myself.
Yesterday was great! We started the day very low-key. In the morning, the kids just played while I did housework. I am always tired (and a wee bit grouchy) the Monday after I work since I don't get home till past midnight and usually can't get to sleep before 1:30. Rather than starting school right away and infecting the kids with my grouchies, I just let them play once they were dressed and cleaned up and I got all my chores for the day (and the ones I neglected over the wknd) done before lunch. Joss spent a very long time working on her invention for the Creative Kidstuff Invention Contest, I certainly couldn't tell you what it is and I am not sure she could either but it looks complicated! Lots of pipecleaners, yarn, tape and small cardboard containers.
After lunch we had a very good day of school (1.75 LA lessons and .5 Math - only 2 lessons apart now!) We have instituted a 10 minute recess (by the timer) during our school day. I resisted it because I thought it would be too hard to get her back to work, but she really does benefit from it and enjoys being able to decide at what point (I give her a choice between two) she will start it at.
Her reading is coming along by leaps and bounds. She is getting quite good at sounding out all CVC words and is getting more adept at figuring other words out by the context. I will be trying to pick up our pace with Calvert as we are now at a point where neither the phonics nor the math are very challenging.
After our school was done, supper in the crockpot and cookies baked (just call me Suzy Homemaker) and we had our afternoon snack we got everyone bundled up (20 minutes, easily) and headed out into the snowstorm. We got at least six inches and it looks gorgeous! We walked to the corner store for chips and sour cream for on top of our enchilada casserole as well as milk and bananas since we weren't going to brave the roads to hit the grocery store. The kids took turns pulling each other on the sled and baby rode inside my jacket and sweater in the fleece sling with his snowsuit and a sweatsuit underneath.
When we got home I couldn't persuade the kids to come inside so I let them play outside. Zeff got cold after 20 minutes but Joss played outside for well over an hour till it was getting dark and I had to force her to come in. She is my little artist and was using the snow as if she had a yard full of modeling clay! She made cakes with sticks and leaves for decorations and I really don't know what all, but she was very busy.
Well, we had a very nice evening as a family. Spent about 45 minutes with all of us on the couch after supper playing Simpson's Hit and Run on the Xbox. It is very funny and we just turn the sound way down so the kids can't hear some of the off color (though quite funny) comments. The kids have a great time crashing the cars and collecting enough coins to dress homer in silly outfits.
For our bedtime snack, the kids and I made and ate snow ice cream. We gathered snow by putting a clean bowl outside in the morning and collecting the falling snow all day. We then mixed milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together. Now it tastes okay, it is really a far cry from ice cream, but the kids loved it! It also reminded me of how my brother and I used to make it all the time. Since my baby bro is going to Afghanistan in a few weeks this was especially poignant.
After baths and stories the kids quite gratefully went to bed, they were whipped after playing in the snow! Here's hoping today is a nice one too, for us and anyone out there reading this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home