River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Once again I begin writing with regrets for all the days of activities that haven't been recorded. Well, we had been getting back into the swing of school everyday (M-Th) However, last Thursday Ryan had a minor procedure which caused him to miss the full day of work. It is soo hard trying to have a normal day with Ryan home. Don't get me wrong, I adore him and it is so nice to have him around, but the kids just can't get going on routines with him around doing exciting things like going out the truck. Literally, he had to go get his coffee mugs out of his truck and the kids were both clamoring to go with him! They had to get all dressed and accompany him! Therefore, we hardly made it to playgroup on time and hadn't gotten any school done yet by that time. When we got home, I had the plan that we'd do school then, but Ryan was so sore from his procedure that it was obvious that he wasn't going back to work. Since we are still a little broke from maternity leave and Christmas, I called my work to see if they could use me. Well, sure enough they could so I began my first stretch of four shifts in a row since before I had the baby. That first night back was brutal, and since I didn't get off work till nearly 1am, there was no thought of doing school the next day (fortunately it was Friday so we weren't scheduled to do school). The rest of my wknd at work was fine, I actually got out on time, still, come Monday I was too tired and discouraged from my messy house to attempt school.
I spent all day Monday cleaning and dealing with my kids who were pretty grouchy from me being away from them all weekend (they don't remember when I was gone 60 hours a week during nursing school - they are just used to having me around almost full time and get grouchy when I'm not). We read, played with Jossy's new multiplication and division math toy (she's actually getting it, I'm so impressed with her math ability) and just played together. I spent more time on the floor playing right along with them than I usually do and it was great. We played potato heads and barbie (ew).
Yesterday we got down to business with school and completed 1 full reading lesson and 1/2 a math lesson (part of the plan to get back on the same lesson). But did not get to Science. I don't know why it is so hard to fit it in. I am kinda stuck on this one lesson cuz it feels like it takes so much prep but I need to either improvise for some of the things it calls for that I don't have or skip it and get moving! Okay I just sternly told myself that so I hope I can report some progress tomorrow.
After school yesterday we went to the Children's Museum with my little brother. It was a blast as usual and the kids are getting used to it enough that they can now leave with out throwing fits (Zeff, not Jossy). It was great spending time with my bro, esp since his deployment date has been moved up and he will be leaving in about 3 weeks! He may be gone for 2 YEARS! I hate it, for my own selfish reasons: how much both kids love him and esp Z worships him. But I respect him for doing what he must and what he believes in. We will just try to spend as much time with him as poss.
Well, baby is up and the TV should go off and school begin so I will say good bye for now.
CURRENT GOALS
Work on Science - QUIT PROCRASTINATING
1 FULL hour reading time per day
2 hr max TV time per day
Return Library stuff on time. (I have to stop looking at fines as a way of supporting my local library!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home