River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Darn, it was an idyllic day and I actually thought I could sit down and blog and suddenly the kids started fighting and the baby started crying all at the same time! Anyway, we are all better now, but it is kind of uncanny how they never need me until I am busy with something else!
A very nice day so far. Zeff ran a temp and seemed to really be getting sick last night, however this am he is just grumpy with a runny green nose. Not really sick, but having a hard day anyway. So, we missed playgroup and it did give me the opportunity to make up for not getting any Calvert school done yesterday (it was quite a busy day). We did Reading (coming along FABULOUS, She read another phonics reader to me last night and is getting very fast at sounding out unfamiliar words), Science (very easy now that I am caught up!), Math (Chapter review - very easy, hoping next chapter is more challenging) and a recorder lesson. The recorder lesson is quite the carrot these days. School went very smoothly with the knowledge that recorder lesson would be held last, and only if she had been cooperative! I am scared to type it in black and white but her attitude has taken a 180 degree turn and she is back to her helpful, cheerful, respectful self with only rare lapses, chores are still an issue, but the backtalk and disrespect are gone and that was what I personally found most unacceptable.
TV has been off, other than 1 1/2 PBS shows this am while I slept in. I am re-reading "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood (I don't have it in front of me so that may not be exactly right). I am really enjoying it and stayed up late reading it, even though I was way overtired from the two nights previous.
We also had a fun little nature lesson I guess you could call it. They have these Audobon stuffed birds that make the accurate birdcall. We went over the names of each bird and practiced attempting to ID the calls. Then the big kids went off to play house with the birds.
The kids have been playing really well today. They are each others main playmates since we are home so much and they fight like most siblings I know. However, they also play really well together a good portion of the time and today has been great. They played for a LONG time that Joss was a baby and Zeff her big brother and he had to drive her in an ambulance to the hospital. Then it turned into him having to bring her every pillow in the house to pad the laundry basket that was her hospital bed. She is a very demanding baby! I would have been sick of her but Z really delighted in carrying out her every command. I had the hopeful thought that maybe that would influence him to be more obedient for me!
That's it for now, Zeff is actually calling me a baby right now so I must go deal with him. sigh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home