River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Monday, January 05, 2004

Well, I wish I was doing a better job of keeping up with the blog! We have had some nice days lately. I intended to start school back up last Monday and I think by Thursday we had finally started! Once we started though, Joss was really on a roll. I can see though, that the strides she made while we were "unschooling" have gotten her quite a bit ahead of where our curriculum is at with phonics. So I am doing my best to make sure she has enough exposure and is fully understanding things, without driving her nuts with worksheet after worksheet. It is always a tough balancing act, and I think I most often err on the side of making her do too much review, partly because I feel like our curriculum was so expensive that I want to use every last bit of it. But that is not the point of our homeschooling, I really want her to be able to move at her own pace, and if that means slowing down and finding extra reinforcement for concepts, or if it means just reviewing known concepts briefly and moving on,then that is what we'll do.
In my quest to get LA caught up to math we have only done LA lessons on Saturday Sunday and today. We are closer, only now I am also feeling like I want to get our Science caught up to the same lesson too! I had planned on ignoring their Science and doing our own thing. Unfortunately, we are not able to participate in all the extracurriculars we had planned, and I am now concerned about fitting in sufficient exposure to Science. Sooo, I declare January catch up month, and by Feb I hope to be doing our full Math, LA and Science. I still think their Music and Art are a little weak, but I will keep looking at Art and the Games and Activities section for ideas.
Today was awesome! We got off to our usual Monday AM slow start but kept plugging away. Of their own accord, the kids stayed within their TV limits. Ryan mounted the TV on the wall, and it seems to occur to them less often to ask for it, since it is above their eye level.
After some attitude on the part of my 5yo where I threatened to put her back to bed since she OBVIOUSLY had not gotten enough sleep, we finished breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen and living room and then sat down to school. (oops I just remembered we did exceed tv limits - Zeff watched a video while we did school) We zoomed through the H sounds, then Jossy drew H pictures in her Sounds and Letters book. The neat thing we did next is she used her magnet board to make a house at the direction of the TM. She dutifully did that and we talked a little about shapes in our world, but then she went on to build very elaborate and symmetrical castles. They were neat and I used our new digital camera to take pictures. I could print them out and put them in her portfolios (or more likely they will sit on the puter for a long time - maybe email them to some grandmas).
After lunch, we had a good time listening to the kids new music cd's., "No!" by They Might Be Giants and "Not for Kids Only" by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman. We also listened to their old Kindermusik CD and they had so much fun marching around, dancing together and doing the fingerplays they remembered. I got laundry folded, WOOHOO!
After another "clean-up" session and more attitude from the 5yo we got dressed and headed out to the Conservatory. It is a gorgeous glass building filled with tropical plants and warm, humid air (aaaahhh). The kids had a great time smelling the flowers, marveling at the huge ferns, looking at the koi and running up and down the sunken garden room that was still all done up with poinsetttias for the holidays. I got some great pics with the digicam and might someday even figure out how to post them on my blog - HAHAHAHAHA, that is a nice dream.
We listened to our Bible Stories CD on the way home. We are on the last of a series of 5 CDs. I got them for 4.95 plus my educator discount at Half-Price books and what a good investment! We listen to each CD over and over for a couple weeks and then move on to the next one. I listen intently too, as I have forgotten or never learned many of the bible stories on it. We have great discussions about the stories and I feel like it really supplements their religious education nicely.
Well, I am wiped out from our day, fortunately, I am back on the Flylady Flywagon (check out www.flylady.net) and My kitchen is shiny and I know what is for supper. In fact it is almost ready as it is leftover Chili and take and bake cheesy bread from Papa John's. I just have to throw in the cheesy bread and put the chili on to heat when Ryan walks in and we should be eating 10" later. Aaaahh. If anyone is reading this and is as housework challenged as I am check out Flylady. I am the world's biggest slob but my house looks half decent at the moment, thanks to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home