River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Thursday, April 15, 2004

Today was sure fun. We met up with our homeschool group at the firestation for a field trip. We drove another family because they had car trouble and Zeff sure took a shine to their two year old girl. I saw him behaving in a very gentlemanly way towards her on a few occasions at the fire station. Once she walked out of the garage of the firestation into the driveway and her mom didn't see. Zeff gently guided her back into the firestation. Another time I got to the back of the fire truck just in time to see him at the bottom of the stairs trying to help her climb down from the fire truck! He hugged her and held her hand, and helped her stay with the group as we toured the living quarters. I could not believe this is the kid who had me tearing out my hair six months ago wondering if he would ever play nice with anyone ever!
His older sister who is usually no problem in the behavior department was AWFUL though, and now realizes that she is on probation at our next hs outing and will miss the following if I see any repeats of the not listening, wild, running around behavior I saw today.
Keian was of course precious and cute and adorable. He is lovin' the solids these days and had sweet potatos with baked apples off my plate tonight.
The field trip was a blast. The firefighters were very sweet and answered all the kids questions and even engaged the very shy Zeffy. They let the kids climb all over the fire truck and showed them all over the firehouse. The kids were very impressed by the TV in the kitchen and each kid inspected every single cot in the dorm area. (That was kind of funny)
Zeff wore his fire station T-shirt. Fireman jacket and "fireman boots" (I thought they were his black snow boots but he educated me on the subject.) As we left the house he said "Come on, fire mom!"
It was a great field trip and we had a nice time playing on the grass and having snack when it was over.
We had a pretty good afternoon of school today. I am also proud to say that I have emerged from my Seasonal Affective Disorder funk (I say that tongue-in-cheek but I do get kinda down in the winter) and have cleaned my house better than it's been for months and finally have a little energy! That had been good for the house, the kids attitude and my own. Is it just me or do kids behave better in a clean house?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home