River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Today was fun and thankfully, less eventful than yesterday. We set up the new pool for the kids and they played in it for about 4 hours total. It was much cooler than yesterday so we did another 2 Calvert lessons complete with Science (I just cannot make up my mind about their Science - this unit: animals is fun and I see its value but some of the other stuff is sooo dry and boring). Zeff and I also made chocolate pudding w/banana popsicles together (I love them but the kids do not!) Our cousin came over this afternoon to celebrate the last day of school by playing in the pool with us.
Well, he is done, but I would like J to complete the 41 Calvert lessons we have left b4 we start 1st in September.. I think we are on track to do that as it is not hard at all for Joss to concentrate and complete 2 lessons at a time (we do cut some stuff out - but also increase the difficulty of other things). Even doing two lesson she still never takes more than an hour on school unless we get interrupted or take long breaks. So, I don't think it is too mean to have her do a lesson or two each morning on the days she doesn't have other activities this summer. Should have us finishing up by September when she can move right into Calvert 1st.
We have also been enjoying playing a cooperative board game called Harvest Time, even Zeff played with J and I this evening. It is such a nice game for us as it doesn't require reading, is about gardening (something the kids and I all enjoy) and has an objective you are trying to reach together rather than competitively. I picked it and two other very nice new board games at a garage sale for $1 a piece last weekend. Along with a cotton candy machine that Joss cleaned the entire playroom on her own to earn. I have mixed feelings about a candy machine but it is too big a pain to use frequently so just using it for special occasions should be okay. It is fun to see the cottony candy fluff form though, and I always wanted to make cotton candy like you see them do at the fair so I got a secret wish fulfilled as well.
Joss and I are more than halfway through "Danny the Champion of the World" by Roald Dahl and I can't believe her memory and concentration. I really was surprised that she likes it as much as she does. I asked her a question about the story and she answered by reciting several sentences from the previous night's chapter. And we went walking and she asked "Are the birds heisting?" She meant roosting as the pheasants do in the book. I was shocked that Zeff also listened to her chapter tonight, but that may have more to do with how exhausted he was from the pool than any real change in his attention span!
Well, I should get to bed, I never got the phone calls made that I was supposed to today, so I am planning to get up early (8a) and make them b4 the kids get up (9a). Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home