River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Monday, May 24, 2004

Hi All!
Well it was a rainy weekend around here but no severe weather so thank goodness for that! We spent Saturday at a friend's house. Sunday we missed church again for the fourth time running. Ever since they spoke against gay marriage I cannot stomach going, although I had planned to continue attending until after VBS when we will start the search for a new church. I had found a way to accept that I was going to church with prolifers but that was the final straw. I am sad as they are a great community of wonderful people, but these issues are too important to me to overlook. I didn't realize how important they were to me until I joined and was confronted with those who believe otherwise.
Soooo, we spent a very nice rainy sunday morning at home. Cleaning, doing a Calvert lesson, Ryan playing video games with the kids. About 2pm we were sick of it though, so went to my arch-nemesis: The Mall of America. As much as I hate it, it is good for running off some steam so we hung for 2 hours, went on one ride for each kid, played at the puzzle store, watched the alligator at the Rainforest Cafe and had ice cream. It was cheap since we bought huge tickets of rides when the baby was born and dole them out one at a time, so the only expense was $11 for ice cream. And gas to get there. Not so cheap!
Today has been lovely. The kids started their day by being "Sasha" and "Christopher" and performing a most elegant ballet to the classical music station. They then drew pictures and told stories about them on large pieces of newsprint. Zeff's was all about his "best friend, Zeffydragon," the red dragon his cousin gave him. I wrote captions for the different objects he drew, including dragon tracks, a boat, a cave and a present for the party he was planning for himself and his dragon.
Joss then flew through two Calvert Lessons bringing us to lesson 107 (of 160). I have been unsure what to do about school this summer. I think we will do 1 lesson a day on the weeks she is not doing other activities. That might have us finishing by fall but I am trying to let go of caring so much about that.
On math review days and also for fun she can choose to use her cuisenaire rods or her abacus. Today it was rods and she was having fun seeing how many different ways she could equal a larger rod. Lots of fun, and also known as the commutative property of addition. (I did not know that term off the top of my head, I read it on the CR poster). Zeff and his dragon also enjoyed the rods.
They then had free play while I fed and bathed the baby. It turned argumentative so I sent them outside for a 1/2 hour since it wasn't raining at the moment. Then Zeff had a bath, I laid the baby down for nap and then I served lunch during the animal show, Zoboomafoo.
Well, I am enjoying my "break" during nap and TV time, but I should do something productive with it as well. In a moment of insanity I created two more gardens in my FRONT lawn (nothing like public humiliation to get a project done!) that I must now work on! What was I thinking! Yeah, that's what I needed: one more thing to work on and maintain! Oh well, if I ever get the grass out of the big circular one, I will plant lawn chamomile in the middle and a teepee of scarlet runner beans around the perimeter. Nice plan, huh! Oh well, sometimes I get very motivated with garden stuff, it really is a hobby I enjoy if I can find the time to feel like I'm not totally neglecting it. Well, as we used to say in junior high: Love, peace, hairgrease!
Katy <-who is glad that there is no GPS: Garden Protection Service
PS I have been meaning to mention something very cool about my big girl. She spends an hour or so per day, every day, at the living room table "inventing" sometimes much longer. Right now she is using rubberbands and chopsticks and a paper plate to make I don't know what. I am not sure she would have time or energy for that if she were in PS. I LOVE how imaginative and great the kids are at amusing themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home