River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Friday, August 13, 2004

Wow! We have had a really rough week. The week started out with really cold, cloudy occasionally drizzly weather. It felt exactly like October and really did a number on my disposition. I also felt awful after working all weekend and apparently fighting off some bug or something. Monday I was so tired I went to bed at 10pm and Tuesday I actually sent Ryan and all three kids to the grocery store after supper so I could sleep. There must have been something in my eyes or voice when I calmly explained to Ryan that he must take all three children and go to the grocery store at 8:30pm that caused him to say "Yes, dear," I felt so crappy, I was asleep before they had even left the house.
Our days weren't much better. Joss had hung out with a neighbor child over the weekend and is starting to show a pattern of acting up after doing so. Zeff was decent but baby has been teething FOREVER and was very fussy the first 1/2 of this week as well. So Monday and Tuesday were awful - the kind of days where you rethink your whole plan to stay home and homeschool and start wondering how young they take kids at BOARDING SCHOOL!
Wednesday started out similar, we had a really great nature class, but Zeff had the worst day for "classroom behavior" (if you kwim) that he has had in 6 months. So I was greatly disappointed and Joss misbehaved at the very end and I was having a really down morning and was starting to feel like a complete failure as a mom. (Sorry about the runon sentence)
But that afternoon, Joss came running into the room telling me her tooth hurt. Her delight at discovering her first wiggly tooth really helped to turn things around.
I remembered again how lucky I am to be home with them.
Thursday evening I worked. At about 5pm, I stopped by the secretary's desk and saw a note saying I should call home. Ryan never calls me at work so I knew something was up. When I called Ryan he asked me how to tell if an arm is broken. Turns out Joss fell off some playground equipment and cracked her ulna (the small bone in your forearm). The really lame part is I was not able to leave work because there was no one to replace me. So I had to help Ryan figure out who would come watch the boys while he took J to the ER. Well, thank goodness for my so wonderful cousin who dropped everything and came over.
Ryan took J to the ER, got her arm splinted and she then got to relish the celebrity status of having a wiggly tooth AND a broken arm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home