River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Today was pretty nice. We skipped playgroup this AM as I had offered to watch my neighbor's three kids in the PM and I wanted a chance to clean up, do school and get to the library before they came over.
We were done with math (working with commutative property of subtraction) and had just started LA when a friend called. She was having a rough day and needed a friend to talk to so she and her children came over. My kids were excited by the unexpected visitors and we talked for a little while before we went to the library together.
Library was great as I had found a movie that I thought was gone for good so was able to get the money back I had paid for it! It felt like free money to me and I used it later to get McD's which was kinda nice for me on such a busy day. We also got a great DK book of The Nutcracker and the next Little House book on tape for litsening to in the car.
The neighbor kids came over shortly after we got home so we had a total of six kids here ages almost 7, almost 6, 5, 3, 2, and 1! It was so much fun. The baby slept for the first hour or so and the kids played outside in the leaves for over an hour. They were really working together in all different ways to pile up leaves. They raked, loaded in toy dumptrucks, hand carried, loaded in trunk of play car and used big swimming noodles as chopsticks. They worked very well together for the most part and really seemed to enjoy running around outside again after our spell of cold, rainy weather. Then we collected a couple leaves apiece and used blow pens (sorta like airbrushes on a very small scale) to stencil (I'm sure that isn't the right term) the shapes of the leaves onto paper. They turned out pretty well!
The kids then had a blast with our new apple peeler/slicer/corer and we had apples for snack. We then had a dance party (gotta love They Might be Giants) and finally collapsed in front of Arthur.
As soon as they went home, my cousin showed up and took her son, Joss and I to the Kerry rally downtown. We took the LRT there and back which worked fine on the way there but we waited in line for a train for 45" on the way home. It was very exciting being there and Jossy's improv Kerry songs were hysterical. She heard the slogan "Kerry for a Fresh Start" or whatever it is and was singing:
Vote for John Kerry
If you want a fresh country
And lots of other cute lyrics that I can't remember. We couldn't get very close, but my cousin (who is pretty tall) gave each kid a turn on her shoulders and Malcolm saw John Kerry, but Joss said she couldn't see him cuz the lights were in her eyes. She was very proud that she was close to him and got to hear him "in person."
Well, a very busy and full day. I am so happy that we got to the rally.
Well, I am supposed to be at work at either 0700 or 0730 and I don't know which so I think I am going to get there at 7:15 and either be 15" late or 15" early! I have a class in complications in pregnancy that will last all day so I better get to bed. And bring coffee money!!!!!
Ryan is so dang lucky. The kids were so hyped up by the Kerry rally that they didn't get to bed till after 10:30!!! They are going to sleep till 10am. I am so lucky daylight savings is coming cuz we are getting up later and later! I love daylight savings in the fall. Only.
Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home