River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Warning: Total lack of homeschooling content. Purely bitching about work, here!
I am feeling a bit concerned about the future of the human race again at work these days. Yesterday I had a 26 yr old G76016. Meaning 7 pregs, 6 term births, 0 premature births, 1 abortion and 6 living kids. Yup. At 26. Her first was when she was 14. The father of the most recent of the two children threatened and swore at the staff and was not observed to be very much nicer to the mom. They were both so unkind and bossy to the other children. After having her till 11:30 I had to stay and work my call shift on Labor and Delivery (puke, I hate recovering patients) until 3:30am. Lame, lame, lame.
Today I had a very sick 14yr old mom of a stable premie. Totally screwed up family situation, no father involved. Probably shouldn't say any more due to confidentiality.
OTOH, my other three pts represent a somewhat typical mix for me: young married Somali primip (1st time mom)doing the very typical Somali breast and bottlefeeding mix: "no milk", G2P2 (second time mom) who was bottlefeeding and a very fun G6P6 homeschooling, breastfeeding mom.
Late in my shift when I finally got to leave the floor to get food, I ended up in the elevator with a priest. As he got on the elevator he asked me how my night was going. He asked like he really wanted to know, perhaps he sensed I was upset, and for some reason, instead of saying fine, I said "really bad, I work in maternity and I have a sick fourteen year old," he said he was so sorry and I asked him to pray for her and her baby and he asked their names and said that he would.
So maybe those reading this want to say a little prayer for her and baby, too. Not just for now but for the future, too. I really worry, sometimes.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Prayers accomplished. Thanks for asking. Also thanks for writing about your work.

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ditto. Prayers sent up for young mom and precious babe from deep in the heart of Texas. thanks for your work.
    carmen (friend of kate)

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger KatyM said…

    Oh, thank you both so much! The baby is doing much better and is actually able to stay with the mom, who is unfortunately still hospitalized. Her spirits have improved greatly with his transfer, and she appears to bonding very well with him. As unfortunate as it may be that she has been hospitalized so long, it has allowed her a lot of support in her transition to her role as mother.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home