River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

We have had some really nice days lately and I have been enjoying myself so much I haven't had time to write about it.
School is very good. We have gotten into this Charlotte Mason groove where we are doing 20" per subject moving from quickly from subject to subject that are planned so they are as unlike from each other as possible ex. start with handwriting (diff fine motor, easy brain-wise), math (easy fine motor, fun-challenging brain-wise) and then reading on the couch (cuddling which makes up for it being toughest subject). Attitudes and behavior have also been very good lately. I have only worked one day in the last week and a half which helps me to parent with more patience and consistency. I had worked a bunch of shifts in a row before that and could really feel it wearing on the family.
Yesterday was very fun as we met our hs support group at Petco for a field trip. The store manager had a lot of really good information and the kids had a blast looking at the animals. Zeff and one of his favorite little friends laughed so hard at the mice. They were cute and it just cracked him and the little girl up how they burrowed around under their bedding.
Joss said her favorite part was going in the bird room. She spent a long time looking at and talking to a large white parrot which raised the ruff on his head several times and was soooo beautiful.
The first half went pretty well for me as Keian was content to ride in his stroller but then he absolutely HAD to get down and I spent the rest of the field trip chasing him. Fortunately, I didn't need to worry about J's behavior and another mom (who's baby was behaving!) kept an eye on Zeff for me so I could just let baby run, keeping him much quieter.
The best part of the field trip was unplanned. As the trip was winding up we noticed a dog getting a bath. All the kids watched that with much fascination for several minutes and the lady behind the counter (not the one washing the dog) was really sweet and enjoyed talking to the kids and answering their questions.
After the field trip we met up with two of the families at BK to have lunch and (mostly) to play at the indoor playground. While there I witnessed so much sweet behavior between the kids that I just had tears in my eyes for a lot of it. One of the little boys, H, who is almost 2 1/2, really likes to pretend he is a little kitty. So much so that he crawls around meowing. He also has a trick that his mom is a little tired of but I find adorable: he soaks his hand in his mouth and then "washes" people with it. I know I'd get tired of it, if my kid did that, but for some reason it just cracked me up.
Well, Zeff is frequently an animal so he thought H being a little kitty was great. So Jossy was minding baby puppy Zeff, and baby kitty, H in the playland. Keian was playing near them and I was keeping a 1/2 an eye on them while I chatted with the other moms. Then I looked closer and realize the top of Keian's head was soaked! He had been washed by the little kitty!!!! I almost died laughing. Zeff and the little kitty also pretended to cuddle and go to sleep together.
After the field trip we headed home and did some math and then my cousin and her son came over. The kids had a great time together and we watched the HYSTERICAL movie, Elf. We also got a pizza and had supper together.
We had a great morning today! Joss did SO well in her school and her reading is really coming along. She is doing more reading on her own now, and is finishing her lessons without any frustration. We have also started doing handwriting and she really enjoys sitting up straight "like a ballerina" so she can write lovely "like a princess"! Hey whatever works, I say!
We toyed around with a few different ideas of what to do with our afternoon. I thought of the Zoo but then decided to ask my neighbor to have the big kids over during the baby's nap so I could sweep and mop and do the big cleanup. *Please note, total good intentions!!** But ended up going over there and drinking tea for the whole afternoon while the kids played! Then Ryan got home and we went to the MOA for supper (cuz my house was still a wreck!) and for the kids to go on one ride apiece.
I should go clean the kitchen. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home