River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Well this is probably of zero interest to anyone besides me (and that's different from the rest of my blog's content how?) But I really want to record that I have worked up to doing 4 miles in 40 minutes on the elliptical cross-trainer in hill mode set at intensity level 6. I have increased the length of my workout from 25"-40" and gone from 12 minutes miles to 10 minutes miles. Now I am working on increasing the intensity every couple days.
Today I wasn't going to work out cuz we really didn't have time for it. But the kids really wanted to go and got ready super fast so I went and worked out for 35 minutes. Since I hadn't planned to work out I hadn't eaten breakfast (just wasn't hungry so kinda forgot) and it was incredible how noticeable that was.
So that's it about me. Kids are doing good. We have had fabulous weather lately and have been playing outside alot. It was like 40+ earlier this week so Ryan and I and the kids built a snowman and a snowcave and had a very fun snowball fight.
The kids and I have been to the Y everyday this week except Sunday and Monday. We are back to getting full Calvert lessons done almost everyday. It still feels like a juggling act, keeping baby happy and Zeff occupied while J and I do "school." Fortunately she has really improved at sticking to her work when I am not right next to her and Zeff is getting very into doing mazes and puzzles while she is at the table. I still don't do any formal school with him but he is definitely on track to begin preschool at home in the fall. He noticed that a bag of Twizzlers in a vending machine had a Z in it the other day and has asked me how to spell words. Joss and Malcolm will occasionally take it upon themselves to ecducate Zeff and will sit him down and teach him various facts such as 1+1 and 1+2 and how to spell yes nad no.
Keian is such a happy, sweet and ACTIVE boy. He is running and climbing EVERYTHING and I have an irrational fear that he will learn to fly. He really enjoys music and has several favorite musical toys that he will activate over and over and dance to their (obnoxious) music. Fortunately the dancing is so cute that it makes up for the music. He puts his hands up in the air and rocks from foot to foot while spinning in a circle. He also was singing along to the Muppets version of "Wild Thing" in the car today. He really liked mimicking the parts where Animal was roaring. His understanding of English is amazing. Often when I say something like "Jossy get your shoes on." He will go get her shoes for her.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    I love the eliptical cross trainer. I think it's one of the best workouts, and easiest on me. I also like that I can watch my heart rate, so I know I'm working out safely.

    Good for you, Katy! Just don't loose to much more weight, or the wind will knock you over!

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a kid fun picture site/blog. It pretty much covers kid fun picturerelated stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time-Lots of Useful Unique ideas and information! :-)

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home