River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Wow! I worked in the nursery last evening. We were fairly busy due to the storm. We were two nurses short and so I agreed to stay and work a double shift. I had a nice time on my night shift. I cared for a Labor and Delivery nurse and her twins. They were very sweet but very tiny and jaundiced. She is the third nurse from our department in the last two years to have twins! Another nurse also came in and had her baby.
I also got to help this very sweet mom learn to BF her first baby. A couple other moms also were really appreciative of my BFing help. It's funny because many of the nurses I work with don't really care much for assisting with breastfeeding, but it is my favorite.
There was another mom who was so anxious that she kept calling different nurses in to look at her baby cuz she was sure he was having seizures. The kid was just rooting at the breast, shaking his head back and forth looking for it! I told her that I had three kids and had helped about 1000 babies learn how to nurse and I had seen the same thing many, many times. So did all the other nurses. But she wouldn't believe any of us. That always worries me when people are that anxious in the hospital. I wonder how they'll do when they get home! We recommended to the pediatrician that her and the baby either have a home health visit or an early follow up visit.
Work stuff aside... WE HAVE SNOW!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!! Inches upon inches (the official tally is six but it really seems like more) of gorgeous fluffy white snow!!!!! I need to reset my sleep clock now that I stayed up all last night and slep till 4p today so my fam can go sledding with my cousin and her fam tomorrow. We are also considering tubing. Will let y'all know how it goes.
And on a more serious note: my friend, Kate is going through really tough times. Please pray for peace for her and her family.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Anne said…

    You did get my message that I blame you totally for the snow? I was perfectly content with no snow, but NO! The Minnesotans HAVE to have snow! :-) You better be willing to make sledding plans, cause I have a very eager 7 year old, now! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home