River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Today started out tough, got great and ended tough. For the long version, keep reading.
Took Ry to the doctor this AM. We noticed two weeks ago that his thyroid is enlarged. He went in to the doctor who confirmed it was enlarged but "at least it is symmetrical" did some thyroid function and antibody tests which were normal and told Ryan to come back if it grew any more. Over this last weekend we noticed that not only is it larger, it is also now asymmetrical, larger on the left side.
So we went back today and dr ordered an ultrasound. Ryan got it today and we should hear results tomorrow. Please pray for us as I am really scared.
Day improved immensely when we picked up the kid's buddies Frank and Maggie, met up with my friend Lori and her kids, Chet and Annabel. We took the kid's to the MN Zoo and took advantage of the 40 degree weather by spending the whole time outside walking around the big loop. The kid's also had a great time climbing the "grain elevator" area.
Then parted company with Lori and kids, picked up Malcolm and took six, yep count'em six kids to the Y. I proved my theory that (to a point) more kids are easier than less. I had zero behavior or any kinds of problems with any of the kids. They were awesome. I made them hold hands most of the time (I was a little worried about leaving one behind and still having such a pack that I didn't notice) and it was the cutest thing you ever saw.
Did 4.2 miles in 40 minutes on the elliptical, but set to level 5 in deference to the HORRIBLE air quality we are suffering with here in the metro area. Worst in 25 years. I can tell, too. I had to use my inhaler twice today and I rarely use it.
After supper I had to go into work from 7-11p. Now, I generally think a 4 hour shift just cannot be that bad but tonight it WAS!
It is an unwritten rule of nursing that all bad things happen at change of shift. That held true today. Between day and evening shift one of my patients hemorrhaged and a baby coded. I wasn't there of course, but I paid for it as the nurse I followed had her hands full caring for the one hemmorhaging patient and left almost all the other duties of the shift to me. I also discovered that my 17 year old had been overdosing herself on the self med motrin that we give all our patients. She was okay and I had a great conversation with the midwife who came over to see her. I just got home now at 1am with a splitting headache. I am taking a hot bath and going to bed, now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home