River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Wow! It's been a really long time since I posted. The biggest and best news I can share is that MY BROTHER IS HOME!!!!!! Well not quite home, but in Ft. Mc Coy Wisconsin, but he will be home by Wednesday!!!! Alleluia!!!!!!!!!
We haven't done much that is new, but have just been coping without our minivan. To that end we have been riding our bikes aLOT. Joss can regularly do 3 miles and with some breaks can do 5 miles. I have been hauling both boys for trips of any distance, but Zeff has enjoyed riding his two-wheeler for the shorter ones.
I have also been working on several things as we have been sticking much closer to home than we usually do. One is baby naps. He has always just fell asleep in the car on the way to or from our many activities. I never minded this and figured he was getting enough sleep. However, he had not learned to lay down in the middle of the day and go to sleep, so we have accomplished this. Now 1 o clock is my, I mean his, guaranteed naptime and I can count on at least 1 1/2 hours and sometimes over 2! Which helps with accomplishment #2...
Which is cleaning my house! I am not a good housekeeper. Not. At. All. I always hope that my incredible cooking and flawless childrearing (shut up) will make up for my failings in the housecleaning department. However, with baby's guaranteed naptimes we have been getting the house much cleaner than usual every single day. I am teaching the big kids to help more and have made great strides in my own personal Mt. Washmore. Also discovered that if you wet the mop in hot water and run it over the tile floors in five minutes it looks almost as good as if you spend 40 minutes scrubbing it. An important and revolutionizing discovery for me as washing the floors is one of my hardest chores to get done.
3) Baking and cooking from scratch. I have been doing much more of both. Jossy and I invented the yummiest bread ever! We made a whole-wheat-oatmeal bread dough in the breadmaker and let it do two rises in there, then rolled it out flat and spread a cinnamon-butter-brown sugar mixture over it, then rolled it up like a jelly roll, tucked it in a loaf plan and let it rise. After it rose, we brushed egg white on top, and sprinkled it with oats and cinnamon sugar. Well the sugar on the crust turned all pretty and crystally and the butter-brown sugar mix turned to CARAMEL! So it was like a whole-wheat caramel roll. MMMMMMMMMM
The only other big news that I can think of right now is that Joss and I marched in the Mayday parade for the third year in a row. We were unicorns this year, and our masks were probably the most beautiful we've ever made. I dyed J's hair candy pink (it actually turned out sorta magenta) and mine turquoise (just the bottom 1/3, or so). Because it is semi-permanent the color might last up to 6 weeks.
Oh yeah, we had a neat outing when we got the hair dye. Because I was carless, I took Malcolm and my kids, on the city bus, to the LRT station, to the mall of america, back home via LRT and then walked from the station to our house. I cost 1.25 on the city bus and J and M cost .50 and since we did the whole trip in less than 2.5 hours (the length of the transfer) we did that whole trip for 2.25!
We also went to the science museum yesterday with my dad and saw Stomp's world beat again. What an awesome movie! The kids and I had such a nice time with my dad. We had a lot of fun playing with air pressure by the Chomp cafeteria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home