River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Update
We were gearing up for yet another camping trip, this time to DeSmet, SD. I went grocery shopping Thursday afternoon for our camping food. Two blocks from home the van died. I was so irritated, but thankful that we were at least ALMOST home and not stranded at the grocery store on a 97 degree day with frozen groceries! We left the food in the car and fortunately Ryan picked it up with 1/2 hour and everything was more or less still frozen.
So the camping trip was called off! I was also supposed to pick my little brother up at the airport the next day but I had no wheels. That turned into another adventure when the kids and Malcolm and I took the bus to the LRT to the airport terminal then on an underground tram to the baggage area where we picked him up. The kids were on awesome behavior and it really was pretty fun, even for me! The big kids were so helpful about holding the stroller and holding Zeff's hand on the bus and LRT.
We had friends over for supper that night and then J and I went with my cousin and Malcolm to the Harry Potter party at Barnes and Noble from 10p to 12:30am. Yes we are naughty moms! We had a great time and it was a very fun environment with crafts to make and shows to watch and a fortune teller and some snakes.
Today was a lovely day that made up for the insanity leading up to it. My husband and as many as 4 other guys spent the better part of Friday afternoon and evening trying to fix my van. They got nowhere but early this afternoon Ryan figured it out on his own! I am SO PROUD of him!
I am also a very useful and accomplished person... I spent the three hours while my baby napped and my big kids were at a birthday party curled up with Harry Potter, a Pepsi Lime and a bag of Dove Dark Chocolates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was like CHRISTMAS! But better! So that was the highlight of my week. Actually my month.
PS Unrelated but I just have to say: Weetabix are awesome. I have never been a huge fan of British food but these things are just simple and healthy and with a little sugar and some strawberries they make the world's most perfect breakfast. They do require sugar, though.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Harry Potter, chocolate and alone time sounds absolutely wonderful :)

    Bummer about the van though

    Marianne

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger KatyM said…

    Hi Marianne,
    Yes the time alone with my HP book was fabulous!
    The stupid van is dead again and in the shop. Aarggh!
    See you soon.
    Katy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home