River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me!
As usual, I worked on my birthday. This actually makes me very happy, because thanks to the fact that MN has one of the strongest nurse's unions in the US, I earned double time. That's right, union nurses get double time on their birthday. It is the most ridiculous thing, in my opinion, but I'm not turning it down!
However, I have learned on previous birthdays that it always is madly busy and you always feel like you totally earned your double time. That held true tonight! I got three babies from C-sections including one who I ended up transferring up to the special care nursery with respiratory distress. I had one baby under lights and another baby that required a lab test that took a total of four pokes to get. I gave at least four baths, maybe five. It was crazy, and all the other nurses were really busy too, so they couldn't help me. To top it all off the nursery was about 78 degrees all night, lovely for the babies but I just about sweltered to death! We had one of my most favorite charge nurses tonight though, and she really helped us alot (answered lights, watched the nursery, etc), and was able to find me some help from 7-11.
The good parts were: I picked up ice cream and root beer on my way in so we could have root beer floats. Ry needed the van so he and the kids all brought me to work. They begged to come in with me and truthfully I needed them for all the pop and the ice cream bucket. They love to come to my work and I think my friends at work enjoy seeing them. Joss got to thank the lactation consultant who helped me after she was born for "teaching her how to eat". They got to see a tiny new baby in a warmer and the baby who was under lights.
Other good parts are that we ordered supper from my favorite place (Caffrey's - roast beef hoagie with blue cheese, bacon and red onions) and then my silly coworkers stuffed my $ back in my pocket while I was doing a check on a baby. Another nurse even brought cookies for my birthday because I had told everyone I would bring treats on our next weekend cuz I was too busy getting ready for our trip.
So now I just hope I can get tomorrow off of work because I have SO MUCH TO DO to get ready for our trip.
Peace.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATY!!!!!

    You're getting OLD! :-) hee hee

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, you just wait, isn't it a month till you are 28?
    :)
    Katy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home