River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Thursday, December 11, 2003

Okay, so I left off at Tuesday afternoon. After Target we went over to a friends house for a nice afternoon of sledding, snowmen, snowangels, cookies and hot cider! It really doesn't get much better than that. The downside to the huge dumping of snow we just got is that it took us an hour to get home, compared to 15-20 minutes it usually takes.
Wednesday, was Awesome! Ryan took the day off work and we saw The Wizard of Oz at the Children's Theatre. I saw it last year too, and they do a great job. The kids loved it. Jossy was grinning the whole time, clapping and singing along at parts. She was so into it that she even screamed at one scary part! All in good fun though, she insisted she wasn't scared! Zeff did surprisingly well! He was the kid I most worried about, as he generally can't sit still for more than an hour. He did climb from his seat to daddy's lap and back a few times, but was absorbed in the play for about 95% of the time. He didn't get overly frightened either, as I was concerned about. Being in daddy's arms helps with the bravery, I guess. The biggest surprise was Keian, though!! I was sure he'd nurse and sleep through it, but he sat in his sling and watched the whole thing!! Yes, my 2.5 month old!
After the play we came home for quiet time. The kids really needed it. I was disappointed that all Zeff wanted to do was watch a movie, but I think he needed that quiet time to counteract all the stimuli of the morning. After his movie, the kids sat and played video games with their dad. We decided Zeff is the media kid, and we will have to make a special effort to both encourage other activities as well as provide educational, wholesome videos and TV in moderation. We discussed this while I sat at the computer and Ryan played video games. Hmmm... I wonder where he gets it?
Then we went downtown to see the Marshall Field's holiday exhibit. This year they did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, based on the book, not the movie. It was okay, but the kids didn't really know the story. Of course we went and got pictures done with Santa and paid $17 for 5 pix! Santa was pretty burnt out, too. He seemed pretty sick of the whole thing. Fortunately, the kids were so excited they didn't notice. Zeff greeted him by telling him "I want a PT Cruiser and batteries" Jossy wants a scarf and slippers??? Keian hasn't told anyone what he wants, but I think clothes are in his future.
Well, today started at 5:30 am with a soaked and wide awake baby. Yesterday really screwed up his schedule as he gaped at the play all morning when he should have had his major 3 hour nap for the day. Then just as he was finally settling down at home we took him and the kids downtown and he woke up again to stare. I guess the days of newborns who sleep all the time are over. He is way too interested in everything to nap in his sling whenever we leave the house like he used to. It's such a cliche but so true...they really do grow up way too fast!
Well, we've had a lovely relaxed morning - I had chores done and supper started in the crock pot before the kids even woke up. Ryan and I even got to spend a little time alone with all kids sleeping!! (Baby went back to bed as soon as he had properly woken us up.) They are now watching cartoons while I blog, Xmas shop online and check email while I have my precious 1/2 cup of coffee that the baby allows me. I am also searching for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa books, through the library. I have the idea of doing a very laid back unit study of the holidays (esp Christmas). We really focused just on Christmas and the bible story of it last year. Although I will include the bible story (of course!) I have an idea of looking at how different cultures celebrate. Not that I have anything planned yet! Hopefully I will get a few things together over the weekend.
Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home