River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Well, I think our Christmas break has officially started! Our week is packed with activities, I am trying to get our shopping done and it has finally snowed! These things combined, plus my desire to try to pick up a few shifts at work have convinced me to start our break this week. I had planned on taking two weeks off before the holidays but I will start now, and if J begs for school we'll keep working through LA. I am planning to do more crafts, stories, etc. But tomorrow we are going to see the Wizard of Oz at the Children's Theatre with daddy and then downtown to see a display of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Depending on our stamina we may even hang out for the Holidazzle parade! We then have a meeting Thursday and playgroup Friday, so I hope to do a craft on Thursday. I saw a cute reindeer on Enchanted Learning where you trace a foot for a reindeer face and hands for the antlers then put on construction paper eyes and nose. Maybe we can learn a little about reindeer and read the night before christmas...
But I haven't recorded what we have done so far this week. So far a nice week but I can't say we have done any Calvert School. Yesterday we started off by visiting daddy at work on our way to the grocery store. If I had actually remembered by list and coupons it would have been perfect but it was still a pretty great grocery trip. I feel like Zeff has really come through the tough part of the 2's. He was on great behavior the whole trip and so was Joss. We really do have a nice time at the the grocery store, when we get along!We talked about the wax on cucumbers and why we have to peel the ones in the store, but how the ones from our organic farm have peels that are good to eat. We also had a really funny conversation about presidents and kings. Joss knows that George Bush is our president. She also knows from previous conversations that kings' children become kings. So somehow she heard about George Sr. and asked if the current Bush is president because his dad was president. Well I happen to think that had something to do with it, but I tried to explain that the president is the person that the people vote for, and whoever gets the most votes is the president. So she then says "Oh, so George Bush must have got the most votes" I almost bit my tongue off! I am just glad she is understanding the most basic concepts of a democracy and we will get into a little more historical accuracy as she gets older!
After the grocery store we brought dad lunch then hurried home for a playdate with some neighbors. It was our first time playing with them, although we have lived down the street from each other for 5 years! Zeff really enjoyed their 5yo boy's toys but the 5yo and Joss butted heads a few time. Apparently she felt he was being bossy, so tried to remedy the situation by calling him Mr. Bossy! He of course did not appreciate this! I was not sure that she would feel it had been a fun playdate, although I enjoyed talking to the other mom
Today was great. We had ice skating first, then went to Target where the kids had wonderful behavior again. We also had a real nice talk about needs vs. wants as well as having patience to wait for things that we want. I seriously got in and out with NO WHINING, NO BEGGING for things and NO FIGHTING between the kids!! We even stopped and had lunch at the (ew!) Target food place, which I normally would never eat at but it was where we were at lunch time and it beat loading the kids back in the car, driving around in the snow and unloading them again. - To Be Continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home