River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Monday, August 16, 2004

We had a fabulous weekend getaway! Saturday, after lunch we headed to Wisconsin to camp out at our CSA farm, of which we are members. The kids had a great time playing with their cousin and the other kids who were there. We had a big potluck supper with burgers, corn (bought, due to the cold weather - last year we got to help harvest, then eat it) and lots of salads and desserts that other farm members brought.
The kids played in the barn, catching chickens, faking out baby barn swallows (if you move your hand near their nest in a swooping motion they open their mouths!), watching the baby piglets play and nurse and running around the hayloft. They also had fun observing the mama, daddy and baby donkeys and catching frogs and stick bugs in the pond. One member checked out a bunch of microscopes from the Science Museum and we looked at pond water under those. The kids had also caught some tadpoles and they put those in a bucket and watched them awhile.
The kids had played so hard that they actually requested to have S'mores the next day cuz they wanted to go to bed as soon as the sun went down! We tucked the three oldest (J, Z and their older cousin Malcolm) in one side of my cousins tent) and sat around the bonfire and sang folk songs. My personal favorite is when we changed the words of "We Shall Overcome" to "We Shall Defeat Bush" HEEEHEEE! The kids told us later that they were listening to us singing and singing along as they fell asleep.
After getting blown away by the stars we also went to bed. Midway through the night both our kids got cold and lonely and came in with us. So we woke up in one big hog pile (though slippery, due to the sleeping bags) just like at home!
The next day was great as well. We had blueberry pancakes cooked on an actual woodburning stove, then helped dig potatos before we went home. We stopped on the way home at A&W for the required deep-fried cheese curds and root beer. I am not sure but I think it is illegal to leave WI without doing that. We also stopped in Hudson so I could nurse baby and the kids had fun watching the boats on the St. Croix. **BRAG ALERT** Both of my big kids can identify the Mississippi, Minnesota and St. Croix rivers when we pass them. They can also both spell Mississippi (it's really more of a chant than knowing how to spell it). And they also know which cities and states we are in when we cross them.
Anyway, just had an interesting shift at work. Actually had 2 patients for almost the whole shift, but ended up helping the other nurse alot and one of mine was actually quite sick. She was on double antibiotics, spiked another temp for me and got put on triple antibiotics, not to mention the two units of blood we had to give her today. She kept me hopping!
Nursing related sidenote: I am no longer scared of doctors! I realized that tonight, I made two calls to doctors with no butterflies in my stomach, no need to write out my ?s ahead of time so I wouldn't forget them. One thing I called on was a really important thing that the doctor had overlooked and he actually thanked me for catching it! The other call was for a temp that was not actually high enough that we would usually call but this pt had not been doing real well, and the doctor agreed that I was right to notify her. The other nursing thing I am really proud of is that I am getting a sense for things: by this I mean that my patient this evening was having chills and not feeling well. I took the temp and got a normal reading. So I put my hand on her forehead, decided she felt hotter than what the thermometer read and went and got another thermometer. Well, sure enough she had a fever and the previous thermometer had been off by almost 2 degrees! Maybe that doesn't sound like much but when you are a newbie you trust equipment more than you trust yourself, and I am finally to the point where I trust my own instincts more than equipment!
That's it for now. Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home