River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Keian update
My tiny little baby boy, who I refuse to believe is turning 2 next month has totally weaned himself! I guess I am glad it was so easy and completely self-led, but I was totally happy to let him nurse for a few more months at least.

I noticed he was nursing less and less over the last couple months. I would occasionally offer him to nurse but more and more often he would shake his head and say no with a grin.

Today it occurred to me that he hadn't nursed in several days, maybe even a week. I offered him to nurse, to see if he would, and he actually opened his mouth and put it on me, but didn't seem to remember how to nurse anymore. I remember Zeff trying the same thing after Keian was born and you can tell that the instinct or reflex or whatever is just completely gone. I was shocked that he could forget in just a few days though!

So I am happy and sad I guess. I nursed him for almost two solid years. He did have 2-4 bottles of formula a week since I wasn't able to pump very regularly at work, but he got the most breast milk of any of my kids yet, so I am satisfied with that. He has been very healthy too.

I wish America was like those European countries that have national health plans and pay moms to stay home for the first 6mos-2 years. :( Then I wouldn't have had to go back to work when I had those little tiny babies at home.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi - And it's not just the European countries...I posted an article from the St. Paul paper on the bulletin board at work (at "The Birth Center" at a large metro hospital) that gave some interesting statistics about many places throughout the world, and it sure seems obvious that families with children are not among the priorities of the current administration of our country. Thank goodness, even though it isn't a true democracy, we'll have another election soon.

    p.s thanks for bringing the kids over yesterday! Love, lsb

     

Post a Comment

<< Home