River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Monday, November 24, 2003

Well, I'm back, last week really got hard toward the end! Not only am I back at work but we are having some other issues in our life that are emotionally difficult thus making it hard to keep up around the house and keep working on school, but today was much better!
We got off to a slow start and it was one of those days where it kind of felt like the kids were following me around undoing everything I was trying to get done but we still completed our planned Calvert School (only 1/2 a language lesson), did a virtual frog dissection and read The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats and Snowballs by Lois Ehlert. We also read a couple other non-snow related books. We then got bundled up and went sledding with some friends who are from California. It was neat to see how much fun their oldest child had, as it was his first time ever sledding. We came home and had a very mellow evening, ordered a pizza because the kitchen is a disaster and read our snowy day books again. Jossy also played around with the virtual frog dissection website, she can now identify and state the purpose of the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, bladder, stomach and intestines! She also dissected a virtual owl pellet and looked at the parts of the squids body. She liked the frog the best. Later the kids were discussing spiders (J thought all big spiders were tarantulas) and I remembered that the website www.enature.com has pictures of lots of animals and info about them so we looked up spiders, then lizards and frogs. The kids really enjoyed the pictures and we sent a picture of the single ugliest lizard I have ever seen to their grandpa!
I have stated before that we are not "unschoolers" and we're still not, but I have been coming to realize the unplanned, spontaneous, informal learning of our everyday lives is as least as important as the math and language arts that I feel is best taught through a planned curriculum.
Well, the house is still a wreck, but I felt like we have had our first good school day since last Tuesday! I work tomorrow, so hopefully we can keep it up.
PS As a homeschooling mom I often feel like I should have perfect grammar and punctuation in my written work. I probably should and I could if I really tried, but please forgive my errors when I blog. If I took the time to write perfectly correct I would never blog so less than perfect has to be good enough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home