River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Friday, December 05, 2003

We started Thursday with a speed I did not know we are capable of!! By some misguided miracle, the kids and I slept till 10am!! Now this would normally be cause to rejoice since I am always trying to get them to sleep later, but we had somewhere to be by 10:30!! We actually got dressed (the kids were wearing mostly different things than they slept in), teeth brushed, baby and Zeffy changed, into our winter gear and to the coffee shop by 10:30!!! It helped that the coffee shop is 2 blocks away and I elected to feed them there.
After our playdate/meeting we had friends over for lunch (Bean soup and milk - nutritious! to make up for breakfast at the coffee shop!). After they went home, Joss and I did another 1/2 of a LA lesson, but she was having a really tough time concentrating. She was still really wound up from the morning of playing with friends and Zeff could not keep himself busy at all, so was constantly interrupting us. I threw in the towel and just read stories for a while. It's funny, last week we worked right through Thanksgiving, when the ps kids were off, but this week we have been accomplishing a lot less than we usually do - I guess we're taking our Thanksgiving holiday this week!
Today, Friday, consisted of playgroup in the AM followed by lunch and playing at McDonalds playland with some homeschooling friends. While there we met another homeschooling family. We had a nice time chatting about kids, curriculum, support groups, etc. I always get a kick out of meeting other homeschoolers randomly like that. Helps me feel like less of a freak, I guess :)! In many ways it was alot like yesterday, so I stuck with our Friday routine of no school - even though part of me is feeling like we didn't get enough done this week. Instead of trying to get through some school with Joss I let both kids watch a WHOLE movie (a major treat - part of the reducing TV thing is that we now watch movies in segments). They are still on the couch half-asleep watching it. I think we will call the week of school done and not try to do any work over the weekend to "make-up" for our slacker week.
Hope everyone out there has a great weekend as I intend to do the same!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home