River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

I was woken up today by a naked two year old crawling in my bed. He told me he was cold and I asked him why he had taken off his clothes. "So I could see my butt!" was the logical reply. I don't know why I even asked. I suggested putting clothes back on as a possible remedy to the being cold thing, but this suggestion was met with scorn. I could tell he thought that was a really dumb idea. :) He's lucky he's cute.
Our first activity of the day was ice skating classes which continue to be fun, challenging and an all around great experience for Joss. We are so fortunate to have found an excellent instructor who teaches by using lots of games so the kids never realize they are "working" on a certain skill. She even mixes some "school" in, today the kids were picking up letter blocks off the ice and thinking of words that started with the letter.
After ice skating we dropped off some bread and pictures and letters the kids had made to some friends who are fighting illness at the same time as trying to move! Their kids are about the same age as ours so I always have a lot of sympathy for what they are going through. Right now I am being very grateful for all of us being healthy and not having to move!
In school today we did math first and it is continuing to be fun, but not terribly challenging. I am thinking about calling Cavert's ed. counselors as I am not sure if my instinct to try to stay together with math and LA is correct. The math is almost too easy while the LA is just right and often challenging.
We started LA by putting up our word wall. This is not part of the Calvert curriculum for K but my mom gave us one, so I had Jossy read each of her sight word cards to me as she decided where to place them. She then assembled two sentences. We then did the literature portion of the LA lesson, but Joss was too burnt out on reading (from working on the word wall) to do the phonics. She likes working on it, but there is a point where she just starts guessing at everything and can't read things she could five minutes earlier and I am learning to quit right then. The word wall thing was fun though, and I am thinking she might want to play with the words on her own now, since they are so accessible. We'll see. Right now we have to clean the playroom, because daddy found us a big whiteboard on an easel but we can't put it up till the room is clean! Hopefully I can get the kids started cleaning, then sneak over to the laundry room and start a load.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home