River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I have been really busy lately. Working alot of crazy hours but things should be settling down for a while in that dept for a little while. Pretty soon though, I hope to train to the nursery so will probably need to pick up a few shifts to work on that. I find it difficult to train to a new area or skill when I only work two days a week, It really needs to be 3 or more for me to get it.
School fortunately has been such a breeze lately. We are doing two lessons a day most days very quickly as Joss is progressing rapidly in LA and Math on her own. Lately I feel like my job is to follow up all her self led learning with a review of the basics to make sure she didn't miss anything. She really has fun using her abacus and cuisenaire rods with math and almost always plays with them after school. Sometimes building and making patterns, other times reviewing and expanding on concepts we worked on in school.
She also completed a 1st and 2nd grade Reading Computer Game. She does just as I remember doing, figuring out how to win without always practicing the skill she is supposed to be working on. Oh well, that is a type of critical thinking in itself and she's still leraning some reading by doing it that way.
Monday, our PSed cousin was off school and my cousin (his mom) just graduated and quit her job so we decided to spend the afternoon together. We visited North Mississippi Regional Park and got one of their great bird knapsacks. We saw lots of great birds and had a really good time. This place has been a great find. I really like to do more of a nature appreciation at this age than "science" and this place fills the bill perfectly. Lots of hands on and observational learning, we can hardly wait to take the classes they do there over the summer.
Well, I should run, hope everyone is well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home