River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Woohoo! Calvert 1 arrived Friday after I left for work! It is just like Christmas, all the shiny new books, crayons, paints, paper, etc. Everything looks great, I am again disbelieving when I look at where she will be at with reading by the end of the year, but I felt the same way last year and she did great, so I will have faith that we'll get there. I haven't gotten too deep into the Science - which was an issue last year, so we will see... I was perplexed when I realized that in her playing around with math games, her abacus, and money for the couple weeks that we were without curriculum, Joss has mastered almost all the Math concepts for 1st grade! I'm proud of her, but I have really debated this weekend if I should go through the 1st grade math curric quickly or return it for 2nd grade math. On my mom's advice, and Joss's performance on the assessment test, I am going to return the 1st grade Math (what a pain, I hate mailing packages) and review the concepts that aren't down cold over the next couple weeks or so. We can always take the 2nd grade Math slowly if necessary.
I have everything ready for our first lesson tomorrow while Z is at park n rec. I printed off a skip counting worksheet from learningpages.com and a hundred's chart that needs the even numbers filled in from the Donna Young homeschooling forms site (can't remember the url, but googling donna young homeschool forms will definitely get you there). She will be reading three phonics stories. I like the word and letter cards better this year. They are smaller with lots more blank ones. We will read about different kinds of scientists, and measure ourselves, and the baby, I think. Can you tell I am excited!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey have a great day, I'll be back to see yours again too. :)

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a multiplayer fun game for kid site/blog. It pretty much covers multiplayer fun game for kidrelated stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time-Lots of Useful Unique ideas and information! :-)

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well gee I was given a Calvert Curriculum but it did not have the phonics readers with it - does anyone have them that they would part with? Or do you know where some can be had? Thanks, MB aakede@bellsouth.net

     

Post a Comment

<< Home