River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Saturday, August 21, 2004

We had a Fab-fab-fabulous field trip today!! We went to the Gibbs Farm Museum in Falcon Heights, where we saw a real mid 1800's sodhouse and farmhouse. I would like to go back as they also do a tour about the Dakota Indians. The tour guides were all dressed in period costumes. Joss was even wearing a red and white long-ish old-fashioned-y dress (that used to belong to me) and I purchased her a red and white gingham sunbonnet. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!
It was a really well done field trip and the kids moved from area to area fairly quickly (15-20min). This probably contributed to my kids excellent behavior. They were PERFECT. We have really worked hard on responding pleasantly and quickly (we call it using nice words and it means saying "Yes, mommy," when I request something and "Coming!" when I call them). We have also been working on a few other getting-along-with-friends things, especially with Zeff and it was really evident on this field trip. Zeff did the best I have ever seen him do as far as sitting quietly and listening to the teacher. It was probably a total of 45 minutes of listening to adults talk and he was practically perfect! I was sooo proud of both my big kids. It was especially great in light of how rough the last few weeks had been for behavior. I guess we were going through a rough patch before a spot of smooth sailing - I've seen this pattern before, but that doesn't mean I don't worry if I've totally ruined the kids when were having a hard time!
We also saw a friend there we hadn't seen in nearly a year. I was worried for Joss as this friend is older and she came there with her own friend also nearer to her age than Joss is. But they actually all got along and included J (I was afraid the friend would say hi, then ignore her). I got some nice pictures of all the little girls walking holding hands and looking at the animals together.
Zeff loved the farm animals. Again, I am getting a clue that he is very nature/science minded. He has also learned the names of a couple other trees and is spending lots of time on his belly staring at bugs.
The last thing we did was help make and eat ice cream. DELICOUS!! I guess 5c of heavy cream, 5c milk, 2.5c sugar, 5 eggs and 5t vanilla kinda has to be yummy!
So, after the farm, I decided to push my luck and take the kids grocery shopping. Well, they were fabulous. I realy thought I was pushing my luck taking them after a field trip and without a proper lunch (we had ice cream and granola bars), but again they were great. Baby slept in the sling and we were in and out in less than 45 minutes - just in time to get home, throw a frozen pizza in the oven, throw on my uniform and dash out the door to work. Yuck - I hate doing that.
This was one of the days when I feel like I am doing a good job raising and educating my kids. I explained the meaning of industrial as well as why Green Day is not punk on the way there. Joss thought they were pretending to be punk because they "sounded like they were from England" She's so smart! That's what I love about homeschooling. We defined "industrial" as we drove by an industrial area and when the Green Day song came on I could school her in my personal opinions on music. Yeah! Taking advantage of teachable moments and impressionable minds. Because as Ryan and I were discussing, we might feel as though we had failed as parents if our kids grew up thinking Green Day was truly punk.
:) Hee hee. Just kidding. Kind of.
PS A shout-out is in order to a friend (KW) who I know checks this blog from time to time - thanks for the recipes - that was sooo sweet of you. Also thanks again for the positive parenting book. It was just exactly what I needed to be reading during the rough patch that we are finally coming out of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home