River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Unschooling
Throughout our homeschooling adventure I have always been attracted to the ideas and ideals of unschooling. I was always too uncomfortable with being so far out of the norm to try it. But... I think we are doing it now.
I discussed the concept with Joss who thought it was awesome. I told her it meant the kids are responsible to tell me what is interesting to them and it is my responsibility to help them find out more about it. She loved the idea and decided right away that it was what she wanted to do.
The next day she and I were on a walk together. She said "Stop, mom, let's look at this wood and figure out what it's made out of. Hmm it's bumpy and brown...look! there's little cracks in it. I'm doing that 'de-schooling' thing, Mom,"
I picked up about $10 worth of "invention materials" at Artscraps last weekend as well. She helped me and we got many pieces of flower, shiny, pink and red fabrics and many large rolls of lace and lace fabric. She used them to make the most elaborate Valentines for our neighbors.
Today we did some Calvert Math, with her reading the story problems (reading!) then she drew a picture of summer. She spent the rest of the morning counting her money and playing with blocks. Now she's at Gym n Swim.
Current plan (that could change in the next hour) is to continue with Calvert Math, make time for two or three sessions of Jossy reading and two or three story times. I am signing up for quite a few nature classes this spring and we are planning to take some minivacations to Laura Ingalls Wilder historic sites and do Fort Snelling. We will also continue our monthly or so ventures to the Science Museum, Children's Museum, MN Zoo and the many nature centers.
I think Zeff gets the most out of this plan as well. It is just so difficult to keep him and Keian occupied while Joss and I go through two hours of Calvert school each day. There is a lot for him to learn and enjoy this way.
So, that's the plan, Stan.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Faline said…

    here's a link to resources I'm compiling for unschooling HTH

    http://geocities.com/moonwindstarsky/unschooling

     

Post a Comment

<< Home