River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Thursday, November 27, 2003

I am writing this at 1am after Thanksgiving. I am up again, with Mr. Nightowl! Well, I can't blame him, I am still a little hyped up from all the family and fun. My mom is from a very large family. She is one of the oldest and so I have cousins that are not much older than my kids. I am guessing there were about 35 people there tonight and it was a blast! My kids love hanging out with their older (second) cousins who are all really nice kids and do a good job watching out for them. They should! My cousin (and best friend) and I did the same for them when they were the little kids and we were the big kids. So as you can probably tell, we had an awesome day, but I think it blew the baby's mind being passed from auntie to auntie! Not to mention my uncle trying to feed him stuffing!
We did a full LA lesson today and started a "Me" book. I actually hadn't planned on doing school but she was so antsy and excited to go to Thanksgiving she really needed something to concentrate on, she did a great job! She did work on her "sounds and letters" book and realized she had almost 1/2 filled it. She had fun going back through it and reading the things she put in it the first week of school when I actually had her cut pictures out of magazines and glue them in! Now we just draw!! MUCH EASIER.
Tuesday and Wednesday were also decent, still dealing with some other crap (sorry that's vulgar, but it is just exactly how I feel about it) in our life, so school hasn't been on the front burner. We did do a full lesson in LA on Tues and 1 1/2 on Wed. I an getting better at not making her do every single worksheet. Most of the stuff is allready review the first time it is presented, so she probably doesn't need to do 3 more worksheets about it! I am going to hold on to all the stuff we skip though, in case we find later that more review is needed.
I have also been letting Zeff play more computer games. He really likes them - he just seems to be hardwired to enjoy TV, computer, video games more than his sister. I suppose that in itself is a good reason to be very aware of his TV and computer habits. I don't hold the view that TV, videos and computer games are bad in and of themselves and I do think that there is good to be gotten from them, when used thoughtfully and in moderation. Currently he is really enjoying Jumpstart Pre-K. There is a construction vehicle game about matching colors that is just a blast for him. He really doesn't need practice on his colors as he has known them very well for several months, but it is fun for him to practice using the mouse and play a game like his sister plays and be successful at it. My poor middle kid, he is easily discouraged and seems to get frustrated and mad at himself too easily. But he really blossoms with success and praise, so I am trying to praise more and also help him be in situations that he can be successful at. He is such a sensitive sweety. I really have a special place in my heart for him.
Well that's it so far. Current goals: more consistent w/chapter books, less TV (always), outside time every day, do some Science!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home