River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Friday, November 28, 2003

I'm writing this after a great shift at work. I had a great patient assignment with really fun families. I am so lucky I have a job that I love at times. I really hate when I am too busy to do a good job for my patients but when I have the time to do a good job - it is awesome! Anyway, I am trying to keep this focused on school so back to that....

We didn't intend to do school today, and it was a good thing because the kids and I were having such a holiday hangover. Zeff went from tantrum to tantrum all morning. Nothing went right for him and to top it off the baby was esp clingy and needing to nurse all the time. So it was a hard morning till J suggested we make popcorn in the microwave from the ears of popcorn we got at our CSA farm. So I made a huge bowl of popcorn with TONS of butter (it was NOT a lowfat treat) and salt and we ate that and clementines while I read stories (with lots of popcorn breaks in the reading for me!).

Jossy surprised me by trying to sound out the words on the next page when I got up to get more clementines. When I got back she said "Mom, does this word say Naa-Wuh?" Well, she was doggedly applying phonics as she knows it to the word "now" so I told her what it was and she sounded out most of the sentence with help and even read the most dreaded of sight words "the," I was so proud of her and I was excited that she is so motivated to learn to read. I think my plan to try to pick up the pace in LA by skipping some of the review is a good one, since she is so anxious to get reading. She also worked on her "me" book today and some of her categories crack me up. I suggested favorite food, favorite friend and she dutifully did those, but favorite building (her friend's apartment building) and favorite shell (clam) are categories I wouldn't have thought of!

It sounds like Zeff had a better day after I went to work, I am so glad he gets as much daddy time as he does. I think it is really good for him. Him and Ryan are so much alike in temperament; I think Ryan just naturally understands Z's viewpoints better than I do.

I guess that's yet another reason to be grateful we are able to do the split-shift parenting thing, my kids spend so much more time with their dad than I think the average kid does. Currently I'm working 2 days a week. On those days Ryan comes home at 2 and takes care of the kids till I get home around midnight. It is really nice for them to have daylight time to play during the winter and he tends to be better than me about getting them outside.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds, in doing a job that I love on a part time basis, while also keeping my kids at home and out of school and daycare. So far I am pretty much in charge of school and we have it done way before Ryan gets home. I do hope to get dad more involved, esp when I have two and then three to educate at home. An idea my homeschooling aunt gave me, is to have dad be in charge of certain read-alouds for history or whatever and have him read them to the kids at bedtime. I think that idea lends itself very nicely to our situation.

Well, I better go to bed, the baby is actually asleep so I have no excuse for being up at 1am goofing around on the computer! Darn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home