River's Edge Urban Academy

Homeschooling 4 kids ages 9, 6, 4 and baby while working as a postpartum nurse and lactation counselor.

Monday, December 01, 2003

Today, monday, went fine. We all slept later than normal so we didn't get started with Calvert school till 1pm. Joss is doing well with her reading. She had been struggling with a few sight words, but is now confident with all the words we have learned so far, including yes and no. My mom (a teacher - I am so lucky) gave me a "word wall" so as soon as I clear some wall space we will put that up. A word wall, is a large plastic sheet with holes for hanging and lots of little see-through plastic pockets. The pockets should just fit our key word cards and will make them more accessible for Jossy to look at and review them whenever she wants.

We had a review day in Math where we are supposed to do our own math activities. I recorded our baking for the day, (Jossy counts, measures, helps add how many ounces we need when we use baby bottles to measure water), our countdown to Christmas on the whiteboard (We also did this countdown for vacations, her birthday and Thanksgiving - this activity has really helped her to grasp the concepts of larger numbers better) and our discussion of the proper formation of 2 and 5 (she initiated). This was not satisfactory to Joss, however, so we also had to do another Math lesson in the book. I really fought it as I am trying so hard to get us caught up with LA to Math and I didn't want us to get even further ahead. I finally decided that I didn't want to discourage a kid who is that set on doing school, but I despair of ever getting all on the same lesson!

We have been cutting back on our social activities of late and the kids are having even more time together and entertaining themselves. I still think they are getting enough time with other kids, just not as much as we were. They have actually been playing more nicely and involving themselves in creative activities. J has been particularly industrious and lately is making 3D paper sculptures with construction paper. She makes arches and secures them with lots of tape. She then decorates everything with cut out bits of construction paper either taped or glued on. Her latest masterpiece also includes such found objects as her leftover apple (cut in pieces and glued on) which is a ticket window, and glued on chocolate chips which are all waiting in line for tickets. The theater is a big piece of green fluff from the dogs chew toy/bed. There are other apple bit structure and she had a great time telling me all about it.

Today we enjoyed reading Skyscrapers by Gail Gibbon, a very detailed non-fiction account of how a skyscraper is built. I am surprised at the amount of explanation the kids will tolerate on this subject. Zeff sat (almost) still the whole 20 min. or so! Joss and I really enjoyed reading Little House in the Big Woods last night. We read two chapters (my limit). It is cool how it was talking about maple syruping which we did last year and will certainly do again. Joss thinks it is amazing that it takes place in Wisconsin and we have ACTUALLY BEEN THERE! I love how easily amazed kids are!

Well, that's it for now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home